• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU demands answer on EU bill within 5 days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if Greece was done over by Germany why do the Greeks still support the EU and want to remain in the Eurozone?
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      So if Greece was done over by Germany why do the Greeks still support the EU and want to remain in the Eurozone?
      Because they are a drug addict.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

This is equivalent to blaming an employer for the actions of a compulsive gambling employee because they paid them a regular salary to enable them to gamble.

No doubt the Leave voters will blame the EU after they've trashed their economy because the EU let them leave.

Actually employers do have a duty of care to safeguard their employees and in the situation described they would be expected to provide support.

As usual bremainer analogies aren't worth the toilet paper they are imagined on.

Knowing the state Greece was in , there are off course detailed records of public expenditure and earnings available to almost anyone, Germany decided to loan very significant amounts to them. A decent analogy would be I walk into bank as a serial bankrupt and ask them to loan me a few million so I can go on a drinking spree.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

This is equivalent to blaming an employer for the actions of a compulsive gambling employee because they paid them a regular salary to enable them to gamble.

No doubt the Leave voters will blame the EU after they've trashed their economy because the EU let them leave.

I don't believe it is the same as an employer and a compulsive gambler.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Actually employers do have a duty of care to safeguard their employees and in the situation described they would be expected to provide support.

As usual bremainer analogies aren't worth the toilet paper they are imagined on.

Knowing the state Greece was in , there are off course detailed records of public expenditure and earnings available to almost anyone, Germany decided to loan very significant amounts to them. A decent analogy would be I walk into bank as a serial bankrupt and ask them to loan me a few million so I can go on a drinking spree.
            Right and in what way could the EU have intervened to stop Greek raising debt without the Daily Express spitting anti-EU venom or indeed the Greeks vetoing such a measure.

You can't stop a sovereign Nation raising debt.

Argentina raised billions of US dollar and DM denominated debt in the 1990's.

It wasn't Germany that gave them loans it was private banks.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's a really good question - I don't think I know. I'm guessing...

They live in an unstable part of the world, the EU with it's size brings stability. Something we in the UK take for granted.

From what I understand of the Greeks being European is seen as part of being an elite, it's an ideal. Again, something we don't see.

Comment

Right and in what way could the EU have intervened to stop Greek raising debt without the Daily Express spitting anti-EU venom or indeed the Greeks vetoing such a measure.

I doubt EU policy making is affected by the Daily Express's front page, its barely affected by sanity.

If private banks hadn't lent there would have been nothing for the greek to veto.

And Germany had the right to regulate its banks.

need more toilet paper?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dunno why you bother, these cretins think countries are like people who go to banks and ask for a loan.
                  They don't know that countries issue bonds and that the Greeks admitted to lying about the level of their liabilities only in 2009 after the bank crisis.
                  Until then the interest rate on sovereign Greek bonds was similar to Germany's so any investment advisor would have had no compunction buying them.
                  It's like talking to children, the level of economic sophistication on here.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I doubt EU policy making is affected by the Daily Express's front page, its barely affected by sanity.

If private banks hadn't lent there would have been nothing for the greek to veto.

And Germany had the right to regulate its banks.

need more toilet paper?
                    Your assertion is wrong as UK and US banks between them bought twice as much Greek debt as German banks.

It appears that you're in need of a lot of toilet paper.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Dunno why you bother, these cretins think countries are like people who go to banks and ask for a loan.
                      They don't know that countries issue bonds and that the Greeks admitted to lying about the level of their liabilities only in 2009 after the bank crisis.
                      Until then the interest rate on sovereign Greek bonds was similar to Germany's so any investment advisor would have had no compunction buying them.
                      It's like talking to children, the level of economic sophistication on here.
                      Greek debt was spread globally and German banks weren't the only ones holding Greek debt, UK and US banks held just as much. If any particular bank was responsible it was Goldman Sachs for massaging the figures and arranging the finance. Believing this rubbish about Germans causing their debt crisis is what happens when you're educated by the Sun or the Daily Express.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X