• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poles versus Brits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sassy's gone a bit quiet.

The original British gang have woken up from their Wednesday night bender and turned up at the job. Who do they find but a bunch of Poles getting stuck into the shrubs! A fight has broken out on the patio and sassy has had to lock himself in the downstairs toilet!

Sassy, please reply here once you escape: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...it-thread.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
      Tradesmen find working in people's homes stressful. They would rather take a lower paid job if the gaffer sounds reasonable.

The OP has shown a lack of common sense in his hiring techniques.
      I've found British tradesmen tulip if they aren't young or don't work for themselves.

Young Brits are eager to learn a trade due to the few jobs around for them.

I've spoken to people who run companies in the trades and they've said that they actually go through a lot of young Brits to get and keep the keen ones. On the other hand foreigners are keen regardless of their age.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 6 July 2017, 11:55.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I've found British tradesmen tulip if they aren't young or don't work for themselves.

I've spoken to people who run companies in the trades and they've said that they actually go through a lot of young Brits to get and keep the keen ones. On the other hand foreigners are keen regardless of their age.
        That's true, it's very hard for them to enter the game.

It was easy for me to enter my profession. But I'm not a tradesman.

Are you a tradesman? How was your tradesmans entrance?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

We recently had some work done on our home. One day in addition to the normal carpenters, there was one of our neighbours (who I didn't know very well but recognised, guessing he must be 17ish). Chatted a bit, and he's doing an apprenticeship in the local college, with practical work experience with these guys. Great I thought.

A couple of weeks later, I hadn't seen him again, and asked the main guys how it was going. Was gutted to hear them say he shows no interest when he's there, virtually never shows up, and when they call him he doesn't answer, just texts much later that day saying he didn't think he was working that day. It had evidently happened enough times that they were convinced it wasn't a genuine mistake.

A real shame, as he's a nice kid, and at least superficially it seemed a good opportunity. Unfortunately it seems there's zero work ethic, just wants to hang around with his mates. I'm unsure how much of this his mother knows...!

Obviously that's just one anecdotal example, but I imagine there are many more like it. Like you say Sue Ellen, I'm sure if as a firm you give enough a chance, a few will be brill and make it worthwhile.

Comment

Doesn't anyone do some of this themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              It's called 'DIY'.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                It's called 'DIY'.
                I was asking if anyone did it, not what it was called.

Comment

Deffo... beats paying some dodgy Eastern Europeans
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I was asking if anyone did it, not what it was called.
                    Yes they do. It's called 'DIY'.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Yes they do. It's called 'DIY'.
                      Just not on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X