• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retired — and still paying off the mortgage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    They, the gentler sex, can pick up the financial aspects on rapidly, given the right motivation, as a number on here will surely testify
    My better half is a highly qualified and respected financial adviser and pensions expert ... I think she would take umbridge that someone would suggest women can't understand financial matters! We are as financially secure as we are because she has managed the finances over the years. Her knowledge will allow us to fully retire in our 50's
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      My better half is a highly qualified and respected financial adviser and pensions expert ... I think she would take umbridge that someone would suggest women can't understand financial matters! We are as financially secure as we are because she has managed the finances over the years. Her knowledge will allow us to fully retire in our 50's
      She told me she is planning to fully retire, but she didn't mention you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        She told me she is planning to fully retire, but she didn't mention you so much.
        She needs me to retire to do the cleaning, gardening, cooking .... hold on ... am I just becoming the maid?!?

Comment

She needs me to retire to do the cleaning, gardening, cooking .... hold on ... am I just becoming the maid?!?
          She's going to use the maintenance payments for a younger better looking upgrade.

Comment

A Madam by the sounds of it

I hope she has investigated the clauses in her current contract.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Plenty of Direction and Control, I understand.

Comment

0.74% Interest Only Offset Mortgage for me. I own three properties, two rented out which cover the mortgage payments on all three properties & have all of the cash to pay them all off but in higher paying interest accounts/shares/ISAs/P2P companies & a massive pension pot.

I have a passive net income of 1.8k per month, contracting is just for the shits & the giggles.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

She does know how to keep me under control. Just have to make sure the welt marks don't show with a shirt on

Comment

The simple solution is not to live in West London.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I understand the compulsion to clear a mortgage for a lot of people it makes sense and exists as a wealth store when there isn't another option, but I personally don't care if I die with half of it outstanding.
                      I don't see any point at all in desperately paying off a house which turns into a huge IHT eating, inflexible, none income producing asset.
                      I am getting an easy average 9% across a range of investments, why on earth would I channel any of that into a mortgage debt charging 2%.
                      As long as the passive income generated from these investments can easily pay the mortgage then I am happy to let that ride.
                      You have to look at your whole financial position, not everything separately...

Comment

Working...
                      X