• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tim Ferriss slow carb diet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Eat a balanced diet with nothing in excess, manage your portion sizes and exercise regularly and you'll lose weight and get fitter
    Ah........ this explains things

Comment

I just use IIFYM

Comment

Saying that I've been ill this week and lost 4 lbs without trying, thinking of bringing out a 'Dysentery Diet' book, available from Amazon soon for £19.99...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Saying that I've been ill this week and lost 4 lbs without trying, thinking of bringing out a 'Dysentery Diet' book, available from Amazon soon for £19.99...
          I had that back in 2007. I did not eat for 3 days. I used it to give up coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            A simple business trip, or holiday, to India can almost be guaranteed to do the trick.

Sounds like a totally tulip book to me
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Lift weights and bulk up if you want to burn fat. Obviously diet is essential but I'm in slim fit shirts now (from having a spare tyre and now going for tailor fit) because of weight lifting + diet and not too much cardio. Too much cardio and starving your body burns muscle and not fat as well as slows your metabolism right down. Not saying don't do any cardio but don't make it your entire exercise strategy (if fat burning is your goal).

I'm following what bodybuilders refer to as a 'cutting' diet/workout programme where you eat reduced calories and lift to maintain muscle mass so the body burns fat, it's what they do to reduce body fat % as opposed to a building diet/programme where they eat more to support building muscle mass. Obviously what you eat as well as amounts is critical. At my age (44) I can't afford to mess around with anything sub optimal.

I'm not aiming to turn into a massive beefcake but I prefer the muscled look to the marathon runner look. A simplified cutting regime can be reduced calories + 100 push ups/squats/sit ups every morning.

Get a fitbit (or alternative) and drink lots of water as well.
              Last edited by Jog On; 15 June 2017, 09:27.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

I'm not aiming to turn into a massive beefcake but I prefer the muscled look to the marathon runner look.
                Personally, I think the fun factor of being able to put on a pair of trainers and run up some hills (or through fields of wheat if you prefer)far outweighs pumping iron with a bunch of narcissistic sweaty men about.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  Personally, I think the fun factor of being able to put on a pair of trainers and run up some hills (or through fields of wheat if you prefer)far outweighs pumping iron with a bunch of narcissistic sweaty men about.
                  Depends what your reasons for doing it are. If it's 'fun' then yeah lifting isn't the most fun activity. If it's fat burn then do what professional bodybuilders do to reduce body fat % before a competition.

I like running as well but I did it for years trying to lose the beer belly and it wasn't nearly as effective as lifting.
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    Ideally you do a mixture of both.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Ideally you do a mixture of both.
                      WSES. You want to lose fat and not muscle (I'm assuming) so you have to trick the body into burning fat by maintaining muscle through lifting not to build but maintain (more reps of lighter weights). Otherwise your body will consume muscle before fat when you go into calorie deficit. Same if you do just cardio.

I know this first hand after years of doing it wrong. You don't have to venture into the free weights area of the gym if you don't want to, there are combined (cardio and weights) exercises using kettlebells/Vipre or pushing massive tyres around the gym or smashing ropes into the ground if you like. I personally like lifting + swimming and martial arts. A personal trainer would most likely get you using kettlebells, rope smashing and tyre schlepping as it does both most effectively for time spent. I had one for a couple of years and it was mostly kettlebells and burpees then on to free weights.

It's good to mix it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X