• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Tower Block Inferno

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to fall between stools. Imagine if someone asked - at the time - why they picked cladding that cost several hundred thousand more over another with the same fire rating?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      This is going to fall between stools. Imagine if someone asked - at the time - why they picked cladding that cost several hundred thousand more over another with the same fire rating?
      It will end up being the fault of the EU. Too much box ticking means you can't see the real issues.

Years of increasing box ticking in banks has not led to a reduction in financial fraud one Iota.

Comment

I notice Rydon where the contractors building am extension for a hospital near me. Luckily it's a private one and the local NHS hospital has private wards....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So its the fault of the agency that does the fire rating?

Why are they removing Al cladding now? Has the fire rating changed?
          I suspect the test was inadequate. They probably tested the surface not the edge.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Some Kensington and Chelsea councillors need to resign. You can screw over the residents but when you start fecking around with the press and be found to be lying then you need to leave - linky and linky

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I suspect the test was inadequate. They probably tested the surface not the edge.
              Maybe. However there is then the question of who tests the tests etc. I suspect this will run and run.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Maybe. However there is then the question of who tests the tests etc. I suspect this will run and run.
                Newsnight gave an explanation of how the tests are - or rather aren't conducted - by fire safety consultancies.

It seems while one fire safety consultancy won't be open with the reports they made citing commercial confidentiality, however some of their customers are open with the reports they obtain from them.

In short they burn one lot of materials using one of two methods then they produce a report saying x burns like y, and as x is inflammable to a certain standard y is. So y is never actually tested regardless of how poor the burn test is.

Edited: Cos I thought I was hallucinating about such poor science and the term "commercial confidentiality"
                Last edited by SueEllen; 1 July 2017, 09:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                  Wow! I did't know aluminium was inflammable
                  Really???!! Aluminium is one of the ingredients of thermite, which burns so hot it cannot be extinguished, even by liquid nitrogen - These are the sort of thing you learn when growing up in the countryside and there's nothing to do

The UK is the one country that should know the dangers of aluminium fire more than any other after the confusion of aluminium fire for supposedly bringing about the loss of HMS Sheffield. However it din't. But we learnt a lot about the dangers of using that alloy at the time. So much for history teaching us lessons.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Some Grenfell residents are still having rent deducted by direct debit by K&C.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Some Grenfell residents are still having rent deducted by direct debit by K&C.
                      Well they are still in contract? And expect to be housed? And they had insurance?

Whilst this is a tragedy the normal rules apply.

Comment

Working...
                      X