• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Tower Block Inferno

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Just hearing on the radio.

In 23 flats on the 11th-24th floor there are no survivors.

The police are using 999 calls of which there are 26, some will be duplicates, fast-food orders and other orders to try to work out the total number of people who have died. With the 999 calls they will listen to see how many of the people on them said they were with other people. The police have said that the list Kensington and Chelsea Council provided is out of date.
    This has had me wondering

Is it safe to assume

1) not all people had fully registered with their local council etc (i am sure we have to fill in a census form every few years)
    2) If some of those are social housing does the council not have an up to date list of who is registered?
    3) Does this really mean some people were just living in this flats/lodging somehow without 'officially' claiming it as their residence?

Not really sure how this works..

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      This has had me wondering

Is it safe to assume

1) not all people had fully registered with their local council etc (i am sure we have to fill in a census form every few years)
      2) If some of those are social housing does the council not have an up to date list of who is registered?
      3) Does this really mean some people were just living in this flats/lodging somehow without 'officially' claiming it as their residence?

Not really sure how this works..
      As long as some nasty piece of work can insinuate that the victims in some way share the blame, that's the important thing and we can work out the details later.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        As long as some nasty piece of work can insinuate that the victims in some way share the blame, that's the important thing and we can work out the details later.
        quite

Comment

Not really sure what you mean - if it was aimed at me I was just wondering why we did not know who lived in each flat - as it may have helped with potentially identifying the victims so the families could have some form of closure.

Comment

Not really sure what you mean - if it was aimed at me I was just wondering why we did not know who lived in each flat - as it may have helped with potentially identifying the victims so the families could have some form of closure.
            Yeah yeah.

Comment

Finger in the air calcs.

120 flats. On the basis that there was some single occupancy and some with greater than 4 occupants I'm going for an average of 3 occupants per flat. 360 occupants?

The fire began after midnight when most flats will have had most of the occupants sleeping.

I haven't been able to acertain the number of survivors, but the daily wail says 250.

So the final number of fatalities could be around 110.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

1. RTB - flats in private hands can be rented to anyone. The landlords can choose to add any bills including council tax in with the rent if it makes it easier for them, so people don't need to be on the council tax register.
                2. Census is every 10 years. Most people in London, unless they are home owners, don't live in a place for 10 years.
                3. Visiting people which some people do at night and sometimes stay over especially if they are single or have no relations in this country.
                4. If you are a foreign national depending on country of origin there is no need to be on the electoral role.
                5. If you are a child between 0 - 5 the local council doesn't need to know about you as it is up to parents to register for nursery and school places.

Ignoring visitors the best ways to find out who was in the flat is to:
                1. Ask banks
                2. Check NHS records
                However these records can be wrong.

With visitors it is a case of making national and international appeals, which the police have done and are still doing using media outlets.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Finger in the air calcs.

120 flats. On the basis that there was some single occupancy and some with greater than 4 occupants I'm going for an average of 3 occupants per flat. 360 occupants?

The fire began after midnight when most flats will have had most of the occupants sleeping.

I haven't been able to acertain the number of survivors, but the daily wail says 250.

So the final number of fatalities could be around 110.
                  You forgot Ramadan - though these people are probably the ones who were conscious and called 999.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    1. RTB - flats in private hands can be rented to anyone. The landlords can choose to add any bills including council tax in with the rent if it makes it easier for them, so people don't need to be on the council tax register.
                    2. Census is every 10 years. Most people in London, unless they are home owners, don't live in a place for 10 years.
                    3. Visiting people which some people do at night and sometimes stay over especially if they are single or have no relations in this country.
                    4. If you are a foreign national depending on country of origin there is no need to be on the electoral role.
                    5. If you are a child between 0 - 5 the local council doesn't need to know about you as it is up to parents to register for nursery and school places.

Ignoring visitors the best ways to find out who was in the flat is to:
                    1. Ask banks
                    2. Check NHS records
                    However these records can be wrong.

With visitors it is a case of making national and international appeals, which the police have done and are still doing using media outlets.
                    You're not getting the dog whistle message, SueEllen! They're shifty immigrant social housing tenants! Remember that the first thought MF shared on the matter was that the disaster reminded him why he voted for Brexit.

Comment

You're not getting the dog whistle message, SueEllen! They're shifty immigrant social housing tenants! Remember that the first thought MF shared on the matter was that the disaster reminded him why he voted for Brexit.
                      You really are quite offensive - although what can I expect from a troll!

Comment

Working...
                      X