• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who decides on the 1 min silence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who decides on the 1 min silence

We have a 1 min silence today to mark the Manchester atrocity.

Got me thinking.. who decides on the 1 min silence and the time its to be observed?

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    We have a 1 min silence today to mark the Manchester atrocity.

Got me thinking.. who decides on the 1 min silence and the time its to be observed?
    The Queen & co I would guess.

one day at a time

Comment

The only person who can, you, as you decide if you observe it or not.

Anyone can suggest one though
      Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post

We got one at work now. Noones calling etc.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
          The Queen & co I would guess.

Civil servants and special political advisers.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post

Absolutely, its a personal thing, agreed.

But my query was more around the suggestion part and who in Govt is responsible for it. And for those of us working in Big Corp, we get all the usual emails, etc

Also, when did the 1 min silence start in the workplace, I'm struggling to think when it was "introduced"..

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
              Absolutely, its a personal thing, agreed.

But my query was more around the suggestion part and who in Govt is responsible for it. And for those of us working in Big Corp, we get all the usual emails, etc

Also, when did the 1 min silence start in the workplace, I'm struggling to think when it was "introduced"..
              Blair? Marketing manager supreme and war monger.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

for every terrorist fart we have to take a minute silence nowadays, have vigils and endless breaking news on tv which turns out to be total rubbish.
                Just saw breaking news queen calls attack "very wicked". It would have been breaking news if she had called it "a very good thing"

5 people were killed in an accident on the M6 yesterday, no one besides their friends and family cares

about 80 people die in the UK every hour don't they deserve a minute silence?

Comment

Bloody pain it was. I was right in the middle of a bawdy joke , just before the punchline.

I had to sit deadpan in absolute silence in the boardroom, and at the end had to finish the joke

'And he came right on her tits.'

Completely ruined the joke.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nigel Farage.

Comment

Working...
                    X