• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who decides on the 1 min silence"

Collapse

• Elliegirl
    replied
    [QUOTE Nope. It's because those events e.g. dying of old age, dying of illness, dropping dead suddenly from undiagnosed heart defects, car crashes, home accidents are expected to happen as part of normal life. People don't expect to be blown up by a bomb.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    for every terrorist fart we have to take a minute silence nowadays, have vigils and endless breaking news on tv which turns out to be total rubbish.
    Just saw breaking news queen calls attack "very wicked". It would have been breaking news if she had called it "a very good thing"

5 people were killed in an accident on the M6 yesterday, no one besides their friends and family cares
    I think the emergency services who dragged them out of the wreckage and treated the injured in hospital cared. I think the unfortunate people who just missed the crash cared.

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

about 80 people die in the UK every hour don't they deserve a minute silence?
    Nope. It's because those events e.g. dying of old age, dying of illness, dropping dead suddenly from undiagnosed heart defects, car crashes, home accidents are expected to happen as part of normal life. People don't expect to be blown up by a bomb.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Bloody pain it was. I was right in the middle of a bawdy joke , just before the punchline.

I had to sit deadpan in absolute silence in the boardroom, and at the end had to finish the joke

'And he came right on her tits.'

Completely ruined the joke.
    Did you bill for the minute?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Nigel Farage.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Bloody pain it was. I was right in the middle of a bawdy joke , just before the punchline.

I had to sit deadpan in absolute silence in the boardroom, and at the end had to finish the joke

'And he came right on her tits.'

Completely ruined the joke.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    for every terrorist fart we have to take a minute silence nowadays, have vigils and endless breaking news on tv which turns out to be total rubbish.
    Just saw breaking news queen calls attack "very wicked". It would have been breaking news if she had called it "a very good thing"

5 people were killed in an accident on the M6 yesterday, no one besides their friends and family cares

about 80 people die in the UK every hour don't they deserve a minute silence?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    Absolutely, its a personal thing, agreed.

But my query was more around the suggestion part and who in Govt is responsible for it. And for those of us working in Big Corp, we get all the usual emails, etc

Also, when did the 1 min silence start in the workplace, I'm struggling to think when it was "introduced"..
    Blair? Marketing manager supreme and war monger.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    replied
    Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
    The only person who can, you, as you decide if you observe it or not.

Anyone can suggest one though
    Absolutely, its a personal thing, agreed.

But my query was more around the suggestion part and who in Govt is responsible for it. And for those of us working in Big Corp, we get all the usual emails, etc

Also, when did the 1 min silence start in the workplace, I'm struggling to think when it was "introduced"..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    The Queen & co I would guess.

Civil servants and special political advisers.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post

We got one at work now. Noones calling etc.

Leave a comment:

• InsertWittyNameHere555
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    We have a 1 min silence today to mark the Manchester atrocity.

Got me thinking.. who decides on the 1 min silence and the time its to be observed?
    The Queen & co I would guess.

Leave a comment:

• ContractorBanking
    started a topic Who decides on the 1 min silence

Who decides on the 1 min silence

We have a 1 min silence today to mark the Manchester atrocity.

Got me thinking.. who decides on the 1 min silence and the time its to be observed?

Working...
X