• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cut through lawnmower cable

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Biological washing powder water and s sweeping brush will do the trick.
    A decent pressure washer will do a good job without any chemicals though. Unless your patio is covered in lichen, in which case you stand very little chance of getting it off at all.

We're getting vitrified/porcelain paving for our new patio when we have the garden done later this year. Virtually maintenance free and should be impervious to lichen.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      A decent pressure washer will do a good job without any chemicals though. Unless your patio is covered in lichen, in which case you stand very little chance of getting it off at all.

We're getting vitrified/porcelain paving for our new patio when we have the garden done later this year. Virtually maintenance free and should be impervious to lichen.
      I discovered washing powder when I had to get engine oil of a brick driveway.

Comment

Funnily enough I pressure washed our driveway the other day too and it took a while - you need a high pressure lance to get anywhere. The normal lance with the fan shaped spray is fine for washing a car but no good for cleaning a patio/driveway.

Mind you, if your patio is that dirty you're better off getting somebody to come and clean it for you with a petrol pressure washer, then keep it maintained yourself with your own pressure washer.
        That is the surprising thing with the round Karcher gubbins plus there is a danger when using a lance with a powerful jet that it's easy to dig up any pointing between the slabs

I have used bleach to get rid of some stubborn Algae blooms - which worked a treat - but will try the washing powder trick next time
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Yes - they work like a dream. If you do use the lance, make sure that you use the one which has a tiny ball-bearing in the tip and not the "vario-lance"
          Will try that thanks .. think mine must be leaking as lots of water coming from the yellow vents... this could be the reason it took me ages to one part of the patio, perhaps mine is getting too old.

Comment

Funnily enough I pressure washed our driveway the other day too and it took a while - you need a high pressure lance to get anywhere. The normal lance with the fan shaped spray is fine for washing a car but no good for cleaning a patio/driveway.

Mind you, if your patio is that dirty you're better off getting somebody to come and clean it for you with a petrol pressure washer, then keep it maintained yourself with your own pressure washer.
            Thanks, its the yearly jet wash I usually do, no extreme dirt but the green slime stuff that occur over the winter, I usually do this early at Easter, but due to travel etc, then weather being a total arse in the last few weeks I only managed this week.

Comment

Would the biological washing powder be poisonous for the plants? I have vegetables and fruit in my garden and the patio water would drain to that areas, so am very careful no to use any chemicals. Am almost sure any detergent would harm the plants.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                Would the biological washing powder be poisonous for the plants? I have vegetables and fruit in my garden and the patio water would drain to that areas, so am very careful no to use any chemicals. Am almost sure any detergent would harm the plants.
                Depends on the concentration.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

am wfh today, so went at lunch break and painted my shed blue .. first coat... thought it would look like one of these sweet beach hut ... but it looks odd lets hope with the second coat it would look right...

Still need to replace the felting on the roof, but have to wait until my friend comes to help on Friday, tried to do it myself but its too heavy !

Comment

am wfh today, so went at lunch break and painted my shed blue .. first coat... thought it would look like one of these sweet beach hut ... but it looks odd lets hope with the second coat it would look right...

Still need to replace the felting on the roof, but have to wait until my friend comes to help on Friday, tried to do it myself but its too heavy !
                    Is it water based? I've had funny results with those.

Comment

Don't know. But the trick is to spread the powder on a wet patio and let it soak (apparently in sunshine helps but not sure myself), and then sweep it away later with water. If you don't have a drain to sweep it towards it may be a problem. Maybe best leave for the oil stain.

Comment

Working...
                      X