• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cut through lawnmower cable"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Just about everything is poisonous to cats, because they have a defective gene for a detoxifying enzyme called UGT1A6 :

Evolution of a Major Drug Metabolizing Enzyme Defect in the Domestic Cat and Other Felidae: Phylogenetic Timing and the Role of Hypercarnivory

According to that article the mutation occurred between 35 & 11 million years ago, but they seem to get by OK.
    Yeah but they are stupid enough to lick Jeyes fluid and anti-freeze but clever enough to stay away from chilli powder. Squirrels do the opposite and rub the chilli into their eyes.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    You can get Jeyes Fluid. If you have cats, it's quite poisonous to them.
    Just about everything is poisonous to cats, because they have a defective gene for a detoxifying enzyme called UGT1A6 :

Evolution of a Major Drug Metabolizing Enzyme Defect in the Domestic Cat and Other Felidae: Phylogenetic Timing and the Role of Hypercarnivory

According to that article the mutation occurred between 35 & 11 million years ago, but they seem to get by OK.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    I haven't. Next door has though - perhaps I'll get some :

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Now, back in the day, my father's solution to this and any related problem was a good dose of Jeyes Fluid.

Wonder if you can still get Jeyes Fluid? Can't imagine it's very good for plants though.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    My understanding of biological washing powders is that they contain enzymes which can break down certain substances that may have soiled your clothing. These enzymes, I believe, promote the growth of algae so it's not a good idea to allow it to contaminate any watercourses since these algae themselves can be toxic to your plants and pets/wildlife.

Regular detergents themselves shouldn't be harmful. I can remember the great drought of 1976 when we were subject to a hosepipe ban for the whole summer. Everything that went into the drains was diverted into a huge water butt; bathwater, washing up water, water from the washing machine - the lot and it certainly didn't do our plants any harm.
    If you must use a semicolon, please do so in the way you were taught for your CSE English.

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    Would the biological washing powder be poisonous for the plants? I have vegetables and fruit in my garden and the patio water would drain to that areas, so am very careful no to use any chemicals. Am almost sure any detergent would harm the plants.
    My understanding of biological washing powders is that they contain enzymes which can break down certain substances that may have soiled your clothing. These enzymes, I believe, promote the growth of algae so it's not a good idea to allow it to contaminate any watercourses since these algae themselves can be toxic to your plants and pets/wildlife.

Regular detergents themselves shouldn't be harmful. I can remember the great drought of 1976 when we were subject to a hosepipe ban for the whole summer. Everything that went into the drains was diverted into a huge water butt; bathwater, washing up water, water from the washing machine - the lot and it certainly didn't do our plants any harm.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    So back to the lawnmower situation - the cable is long enough to just fit another plug and I can just buy a longer extension lead. Plug fitting is a double insulated type and has no earth cable which I understand is common these days.

Is it okay to fit a standard non double insulated plug ?
    If you mean the white ones then yes - although they are prone to breaking if knocked about - screwfix do a tough black plug for £1.63 which would be a better bet

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    So back to the lawnmower situation - the cable is long enough to just fit another plug and I can just buy a longer extension lead. Plug fitting is a double insulated type and has no earth cable which I understand is common these days.

Is it okay to fit a standard non double insulated plug ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    There you go again.

I'm getting seriously worried now
    As long as you aren't one of his neighbour or tenants don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Vaseline is not a suitable lubricant. Lithium spray on grease in a can

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/i48/One-P...400/B0032NIWHK
    If it was metal to metal contact then I'd agree - but both parts are plastic so no need

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Vaseline is not a suitable lubricant. Lithium spray on grease in a can

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/i48/One-P...400/B0032NIWHK

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    There you go again.

You sick puppy

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Love the hose management system (but you need to lube the reel spindles with Vaseline or similar)
    Hate the hose at the back for adding detergent -always tangling up when winding power cord in
    There you go again.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Did a quick search, as I may want to buy a jet washer soon to clean a concrete courtyard.

Looks to me like the K2 wouldn't jet the skin off a rice pudding, and what you want is something like this bad boy

(If anyone knows a more professional jet washer for cleaning concrete patios and litchen off walls etc, I'd be interested.)
    Agree with the K2 statement - I have this one HD7125X (except mine is all yellow)
    160 versus your 130 bar pressure
    Love the hose management system (but you need to lube the reel spindles with Vaseline or similar)
    Hate the hose at the back for adding detergent -always tangling up when winding power cord in

Leave a comment:

Working...
X