• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Army fury as chief in Afghanistan is told he won't get vital armour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
    All they need to do is to attach bayonets and charge. Either the enemy flees in terror or the grunts get massacred. Give the squaddies big guns and they just kill lots of innocent people.
    Eh?? This isn't Charge of the Light Brigade you know. 'Bout time our soldiers were correctly kitted up. So embarrassing to hear that soldiers buy their own desert boots. Madness...
    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
      Eh?? This isn't Charge of the Light Brigade you know. 'Bout time our soldiers were correctly kitted up. So embarrassing to hear that soldiers buy their own desert boots. Madness...
      Every good soldier buys the majority of his/her own kit because the stuff they issue is utter tulipe. Ill fitting and totally uncomfortable and not what you want to trust your life to. I have yet to meet a soldier who does not spend a large proportion of his money on extra kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
        Every good soldier buys the majority of his/her own kit because the stuff they issue is utter tulipe. Ill fitting and totally uncomfortable and not what you want to trust your life to. I have yet to meet a soldier who does not spend a large proportion of his money on extra kit.
        Sure, I'm not surprised to hear this at all. But why are squaddies shelling out their own hard-earned on basic tools of the job that should have been supplied by MOD?
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Sure, I'm not surprised to hear this at all. But why are squaddies shelling out their own hard-earned on basic tools of the job that should have been supplied by MOD?
          because you do not need them whilst smoking a cigar in Westminster.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Bring back national service!!

All those polititions would then have to do a couple of years service and find out first hand how tulip the kit is and how dangerous this can be if you are placed in active service.

You would then also get the benefit of knocking a bit of discipline into the current youth running around getting away with everything, and hopefully instill a working ethic into the lower classes and also offer to keep them on.

Win win situation as far as i'm concerned!!!

Comment

Well contractor's often come with a laptop (or on it). So why don't the army buy their own guns ? There could be a basic state funded rifle and a better privatised rifle for those that want it. It is all about choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
                Well contractor's often come with a laptop (or on it). So why don't the army buy their own guns ? There could be a basic state funded rifle and a better privatised rifle for those that want it. It is all about choice.
                I'm sure the above is meant in jest but anyway...
                • You are not allowed to have your own firearm in the field as you are then not insured by the army
                • In a fighting unit it is useful if you are all using the same ammunition so that you can share it around if required (with a couple of exceptions).
                • Your average soldier can't afford to buy himself a decent firearm because of the crap wages he is on
                • They are employees, not a B2B relationship in site, so why should they have to supply thier own kit???
                HTH

Comment

Every good soldier buys the majority of his/her own kit because the stuff they issue is utter tulipe. ....
                  True.
                  I buy all my own gears to do my work.
                  The other day, I bought myself a laptop.
                  Johnny Talibani Mumbai

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    I'm sure that given the choice, the SA80 would not be top of the list...
                    It's not an SA80 anymore, it is now called a "5.56 Rifle"

HTH

Comment

[*]Your average soldier can't afford to buy himself a decent firearm because of the crap wages he is on
                      What happened with trophey firearms - historically the best way to fix deficiency of your own firearms, sure ammo might be a problem, but you can throw it away.

The national service won't help, in fact quiet opposite - I don't like the idea of yobs getting military training, or worse actual military experience of urban warware.

Comment

Working...
                      X