• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky Q question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky Q question

Thinking of getting Sky Q - can someone confirm or correct my assumptions.

1) No multi-room monthly costs - the single monthly fee covers all multiroom boxes (you just got to pay for the hardware cost of additional boxes)
    2) what happens if you no longer wish to remain with Sky after the 1-yr lock-in period - can you still use Sky Q on the main box and additional boxes to view Freeview?

thanks

Sky Q boxes are on-loan whilst you have the subscription. If you don't have the subscription, you won't have any boxes.

I have 1 Sky Q Mini, because I have the 2TB box. I was informed that you can't have more than 1 Mini.

Also, because of the 5ghz used, you'll probably have a repeater box half way between the 2. The powerline feature won't be activated.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      I was informed that you can't have more than 1 Mini.
      Odd, I've got 2 mini boxes. I think you can have 4 or 5.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
        Sky Q boxes are on-loan whilst you have the subscription. If you don't have the subscription, you won't have any boxes.

I have 1 Sky Q Mini, because I have the 2TB box. I was informed that you can't have more than 1 Mini.

Also, because of the 5ghz used, you'll probably have a repeater box half way between the 2. The powerline feature won't be activated.

I've got 3 mini boxes. Think you might want to check that with Sky.
        Also powerline can be turned on in settings. I've done this as the wifi connection was a bit hit and miss. The Powerline connection works great.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
          I've got 3 mini boxes. Think you might want to check that with Sky.
          Also powerline can be turned on in settings. I've done this as the wifi connection was a bit hit and miss. The Powerline connection works great.
          Ah I'll have to look at the powerline. Had to have repeater for one room.

I've got existing powerline though - will this affect it?
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I bought a new TV before Christmas with all the usual smart TV features of all the on-demand and catchup TV built in and found it would take 6 weeks to install Sky Q. At that point I re-evaluated my requirements, I realised that neither of the children watch TV any more, they just look at youtube on their laptops. I ditched Sky altogether, bought a cheap Humax box for freesat using the existing Sky cable as a backup in case the internet went down and subscribed to Netflix at £8.99 a month. I've installed Plex on the TV and find everyone is perfectly happy.

Sky still keep offering me any package at 60% discount for 12 months, think I'm on my 3rd 'last chance' now.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
              I'm on my 3rd 'last chance' now.
              Oh, it won't end there

Comment

£100 for each extra mini Q box. Feck that, it's only for the bedroom.

Comment

From memory (when I looked into it) you get 1 extra box free but have to pay for any beyond that.

My memory may be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X