• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy some alts...

Got some cash (EUR) on bitstamp
    Could buy either BTC or ETH and send to bittrex wallet, and then buy something on there, example XLM.
    Just trying to understand what the impact is in buying in either BTC or ETH ??
    Spreads are different (BTC-XLM: 0.1%, ETH-XLM: 0.7%).
    Any other things to be aware of, i.e. differences in transaction times using BTC or ETH??

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
      Looking to buy some alts...

Got some cash (EUR) on bitstamp
      Could buy either BTC or ETH and send to bittrex wallet, and then buy something on there, example XLM.
      Just trying to understand what the impact is in buying in either BTC or ETH ??
      Spreads are different (BTC-XLM: 0.1%, ETH-XLM: 0.7%).
      Any other things to be aware of, i.e. differences in transaction times using BTC or ETH??

cheers.
      ETH just went up, so you'll get more for your money if you already have ETH, but if you're going from EUR I don't see it'll make much difference. BTC may have higher fees?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Can't beat a bit of hodling.
        If I made sockies I'd make one called 'Glen Hodl'
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Anyone in Siacoin (SA)?

It's doing OK but I decided to move the coins off Bittrex to a wallet and it's been a pretty horrendous experience.

The wallet needs to synchronize the SA blockchain (about 10 gig but took a few days of leaving it open). The Bittrex wallet is several blocks behind so my withdrawal is now 'out there somewhere' while BIttrex work with the SA devs to get their wallet synced (not just me with the issue). Bittrex is one of the better exchanges in this regard.

As far as coins go this one is extremely clunky to use - if I wanted to cash it out in a hurry that would be a problem. That's if they even arrive...

Fundamentally the general community is quite bullish on this coin and the business idea behind it (blockchain P2P cloud storage like Amazon AWS/MS Azure) which is up and running.

But if you're trading it - right now you're better off keeping your coins on the Exchange unless you intend to Hodl for a while.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            As I alluded to in my previous ramble..... The blockchain use described by Carney for the BoE is nothing like Bitcoin.
            It would still be a FIAT currency and the most unique part of Bitcoin is the lack of a central bank.
            I think the advantage of the lack of a central bank was supposed to be to do with making it a non-inflationary currency.

The fact that a pound loses 2%-3% of its value each year seems less of a worry to me than that bitcoin quite conceivably could lose almost all its value in a matter of hours/days.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Sounds good indeed. Like the idea, entertainment content/ copyright controlled by the owner, as it should be.

What happens if the Company puts something in the network China does not like, what's to stop the state controlling the company?

Certainly worth a punt, I'm not sure if anyone else is trying this with blockchain.

If TRON does to entertainment what Ripple does for banking (I compare them because of similar total coins) there could be a strong gains in the years to come.

What happens if the CEO dies/disappears? Usually the other big names have more than one person at the top.

Wish I'd bought some at the beginning of the month. To busy watching the grand total rather than looking up new ideas.
              TRON (TRX) doubled since that post.

I am now out but have regrets already. I didn't have the balls to hold and was hoping for a retrace before jumping back in. Lesson learned.
              Last edited by ChimpMaster; 2 January 2018, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                ... I decided to move the coins off Bittrex to a wallet and it's been a pretty horrendous experience.

... Bittrex is one of the better exchanges in this regard. ...

Hopefully if the news/rumours are true about FairX, i.e. backed by IBM and looking to offer a better exchange solution than the crud currently in play, that the marketplace will get the inevitable shake up as it matures in 2018.

If things were easier for Joe Public to use then the rises seen so far would be sofa change if every one wanting to 'get rich quick' was able to participate a lot easier than at present.

So will be interesting to see which offerings come good on their promises in 2018 and which are shown to be in it for the quick buck through smoke and mirrors. For sure there will be some good mid/long term investments still to be made if researched and an eye kept open for.

Any other potential game changers on the near horizon in the maturing marketplace?
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Any more tips?
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                    FTFY
                    Nah, I can't be bothered with all the hoops to jump through (registering, if they'll accept new registrations currently, authenticating identity, buying tulipcoin to transfer to coin/solution really interested in, faffing about with wallets or worrying about which exchange is reliable/stable/honourable to not lose the coins, and pay out in £s, ...) to try to make a quick million or two.

Going to keep an eye on the long term potential winners, so even though I'll likely miss the quick killings the long term potential is still worth investing in.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Nah, I can't be bothered with all the hoops to jump through (registering, if they'll accept new registrations currently, authenticating identity, buying tulipcoin to transfer to coin/solution really interested in, faffing about with wallets or worrying about which exchange is reliable/stable/honourable to not lose the coins, and pay out in £s, ...) to try to make a quick million or two.
                      I haven't been selling the tips, just hanging on to them

Comment

Working...
                      X