• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish Referendum Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scotsman is about as Scottish a paper as is North Korea today, and no doubt as meaningful.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      SNP loses overall majority in Scottish Parliament | The Independent

Poll: Support for Indyref2 slips amid Brexit wrangling - The Scotsman

Coupled with the fact that the economic conditions and oil price are a lot less robust looking than they were last time round.

And on top of that, the major thing that swung it "Better Together's" way last time was the uncertainty. That uncertainty has now gone into overdrive.
      I'm assuming you're going to pretend that you don't know the Scottish Parliament was designed never to give any party a majority ? The 2011 result is the anomaly here, not the 2016 result. There is still a pro independence majority in the Scottish parliament, as well you know.

A Poll....by YouGov......the people who got the last GE and the Brexit polls so right. That's your basis for repeating Theresa May's 'keep saying it and it'll come true' facts.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Erm...

The uncertainty of leaving. Now the uncertainty is guaranteed, so there's nothing to lose.
        No, I was talking from the perspective of Scotland.
        If they vote for independence before Brexit fully plays out they will, amongst a plethora of other things,

1) Not know whether or not they will still be in the EU (probably not) or even if they will be allowed to join
        2) Not know what currency they will use

There are too many canny and influential Scots to allow this leap of faith to occur without an awful lot more guarantees and certainty than Sturgeon and her cronies will ever be able to provide.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

As Scotland takes back control...
          Brexiters explain the difference:

1) Article 50 / Section 30 order of the Scotland Act.
          2) EU single market (500m) / UK single market (60m)
          3) Taking back control from EU / Scotland taking back control from an unelected Tory English PM.

The Irony.....
          I can't wait to see who the Tories put up to argue for the union
          and contradict their positions in the EU referendum.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There are too many canny and influential Scots to allow this leap of faith to occur ....
            By extension we can only assume influential idiots won the Brexit vote. Boris, Nigel... goodness SB might have a point..

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
              The 2011 result is the anomaly here, not the 2016 result.
              The SNP got 44% of the vote in 2011 and 46.5% in 2016.

Hardly a giant leap in the right direction is it? Pretty much the same percentage that "YES" polled in 2014. The real winners were the Tories whose share jumped by over 8%. I'm guessing they are mainly pro-union.

On top of that, 1/3 of those who voted YES in 2014 also voted for Brexit. Not sure you can fully count on all of those votes if it goes to another referendum.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                As Scotland takes back control...
                Brexiters explain the difference:

1) Article 50 / Section 30 order of the Scotland Act.
                2) EU single market (500m) / UK single market (60m)
                3) Taking back control from EU / Scotland taking back control from an unelected Tory English PM.

The Irony.....
                and contradict their positions in the EU referendum.
                paying your round / getting your big brother to pay?

Paying for your own Independance vote or getting England to pay?

etc.

Wait till you vote out, we will make you pay! Do you have a spare £50 Billion?

Love Jean Claude Osborne....
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  The Irony.....
                  It will be Ruth Davidson I expect. The most popular and capable politician in Scotland at the moment.

HTH

Comment

The SNP got 44% of the vote in 2011 and 46.5% in 2016..
                    36%. That's how much the Tories got to win a majority in the last general election, which gave them the right to put a vote on the table to pull the whole country out of the EU.

36% Ffffing per cent.

I'd call 44% a ringing endorsement with bells on.

Thicker than a mutton sandwich.

Comment

It will be Ruth Davidson I expect. The most popular and capable lesbian in Scotland at the moment.

HTH
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X