• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting and working and living short term UP NORTH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not everything is as straight forward as you think. In Manchester, public transport is worse but more expensive than London. I'd very much look at where the gig is before booking accommodation (crossing Manchester city centre isn't fun at rush hour, so look for something on the same side). If you're travelling on the M62, get flexible hours if you can or you're in for a treat.

Food and beer are far cheaper - it's not uncommon for premium lager to be £3.20 a pint in the suburbs (although you will get fleeced in many central Manchester pubs).

Diseasex needs a new car - the Lake District is only an hour away.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Diseasex needs a new car - the Lake District is only an hour away.

Kendal maybe,
      Keswick is very much 1.5h unless I go NUTS with my 190KM

Comment

The market must be bad if the Southerners are contemplating travelling past Watford Gap. I've seen a few roles advertising up to £150 a day recently though so perhaps the big money is tempting them.

Comment

BarryDidIt can always do his 'Yorkshire Tour guide' thing for this bloke like he did for me.

He once took me to a pub in Huddy to allow me to sample local dishwater, sorry 'beer' with names like 'Farmhands Cock', 'Haybarn Rapist' and 'Aye Uup Anal'.

Scary place mate. Better staying on the bench in the south east than risking your sphincter going to Yorkieland.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            BarryDidIt can always do his 'Yorkshire Tour guide' thing for this bloke like he did for me.

He once took me to a pub in Huddy to allow me to sample local dishwater, sorry 'beer' with names like 'Farmhands Cock', 'Haybarn Rapist' and 'Aye Uup Anal'.

Scary place mate. Better staying on the bench in the south east than risking your sphincter going to Yorkieland.
            What are you, a sheep?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

I totally misunderstood what you meant when you said you fancied a Haybarn Rapist.

Comment

This thread needs moving to General asap

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  This thread needs moving to General asap

Yeah, but that will require a mod.

...oh, hold on.

Sorry, that will require a mod who knows what they are doing.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Sorry, that will require a mod who knows what they are doing.
                    Oh well, guess it's gonna stay in the prof forums then.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                      Hi

I had a few calls from agency earlier this week about contracting up north. I don't know much about the cities and town and the living expenses, apart from the obvious, it is normally cheaper than down south, below the Oxford to Northampton to Cambridge Maginot line.

Is there a website that contractor usually go to look this up information?

The cities in question are: Bradford, Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds. The length of contracts are from three months and rolling. Personally, I couldn't do three months in a bed and breakfast. What is accommodation like? Would you Air BnB or Home and Away it?

I was thinking positively about the potential as it will be soon be spring / summer and time chance to see the Peak District and AONBs.
                      It's fairly hard to explain if you've not been up here before. Have you ever been to Slough or Swindon?

Comment

Working...
                      X