• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logical Interview Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    How do you propose to set fire to the rope?
    Wrap it round your head, use a blowtorch. F**k the rules, it'd be worth it.

Either that or with the lighting device provided, given the inferences within the problem presented.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      If you light the rope from both ends it burns in half an hour, no matter how inconsistently it burns along its entire length.
      Yes, I'd concede that is true if you can think of the rope as effectively "one dimensional" like a thin fuse wire, and that is probably how one is meant to consider it in the context of the problem.

But if the rope has a finite thickness then the combustion shooting down the fluffy fast-burning substance from one end could completely surround our supposed waxy slow-burning lump embedded within it entirely below the rope's surface before the combustion from the other end reaches it, and in that situation the two separate combustions become in effect one, or in other words the second is sort of nullified, and that was what I had in mind.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        But if the rope has a finite thickness then the combustion shooting down the fluffy fast-burning substance from one end could completely surround our supposed waxy slow-burning lump embedded within it entirely below the rope's surface before the combustion from the other end reaches it ...
        Hmm, thinking about it some more, there's no way combustion zones from opposite ends can "overlap" at any stage, assuming nothing is left after combustion. Also the zone from a given end must be in one part i.e. simply connected rather than multiple "islands".

So even for a "3d" rope, when both ends are lit one can think of the entire rope volume as comprising two disjoint simply-connected combustion regions, however irregular and intertwined these may be.

(So LondonManc & WFH are correct )

Comment

Yes, I'd concede that is true if you can think of the rope as effectively "one dimensional" like a thin fuse wire, and that is probably how one is meant to consider it in the context of the problem.

But if the rope has a finite thickness then the combustion shooting down the fluffy fast-burning substance from one end could completely surround our supposed waxy slow-burning lump embedded within it entirely below the rope's surface before the combustion from the other end reaches it, and in that situation the two separate combustions become in effect one, or in other words the second is sort of nullified, and that was what I had in mind.
          Well done sir! a fine defense of an increasingly tenuous position. Never surrender, never admit you were wrong. All that is lacking is your sockie explaining how it's obvious that's what you meant and the rest of us are a bunch of boneheads.

Comment

Hmm, thinking about it some more, there's no way combustion zones from opposite ends can "overlap" at any stage, assuming nothing is left after combustion. Also the zone from a given end must be in one part i.e. simply connected rather than multiple "islands".

So even for a "3d" rope, when both ends are lit one can think of the entire rope volume as comprising two disjoint simply-connected combustion regions, however irregular and intertwined these may be.

(So LondonManc & WFH are correct )
            You've not got the gig because you sent the interviewer to sleep. HTHBIDI
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

You've not got the gig because you sent the interviewer to sleep. HTHBIDI
              If a question about burning ropes does come up in an interview, I'll walk it now!

Comment

If a question about burning ropes does come up in an interview, I'll walk it now!

Comment

If a question about burning ropes does come up in an interview, I'll walk out now!

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                    If a question about burning ropes does come up in an interview, I'll walk out now!
                    Answer it and ask them to solve something else. When they protest tell them stupid irrelevant interview questions can be asked by both parties.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Cut or mark each rope into four equal lengths. Remove the last quarter of each piece or set.

Ignite each set. The period of time between the piece that remains lit and the other extinguished equals 45 minutes.

I'd argue this answer is more accurate than that given since you're only igniting the rope once.
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 8 March 2017, 20:16.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X