• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camaraderie between cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Is that MF?

Veteran
    you love it !

at least someone pretends you exist
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Either way I didn't half end up with a sore arris after 20 miles on a flat rear tyre over rough country lanes.

Do they do the equivalent of run flat tyres for cycles?
      I have always found fellow MAMILs most helpful, most stop and offer me tools or tyres. Maybe thats cuz I look hot in Lycra (Think Billy bunter in stockings).

Kings have Kevlar

Wiggle | MTB Off-Road Tyres

I can vouch for Continental & Vittoria.

They were doing some tubeless ones but I haven't had a problem with armoured.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I have always found fellow MAMILs most helpful, most stop and offer me tools or tyres. Maybe thats cuz I look hot in Lycra (Think Billy bunter in stockings).

Kings have Kevlar

Wiggle | MTB Off-Road Tyres

I can vouch for Continental & Vittoria.

They were doing some tubeless ones but I haven't had a problem with armoured.
        May look into the tubeless ones as others have suggested.

I did have kevlar /armoured on the back but it didn't stop something putting quite a big gash in the tyre. I put my spare tube in but only managed a few hundred yards before that popped too.

Admittedly, the tyre was a little old.

Comment

May look into the tubeless ones as others have suggested.

I did have kevlar /armoured on the back but it didn't stop something putting quite a big gash in the tyre. I put my spare tube in but only managed a few hundred yards before that popped too.

Admittedly, the tyre was a little old.
          So you didn't check the tyre properly when you replaced the tube....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Tubeless won't help with a torn tyre. You needed a tyre-boot or some way of stopping the tube popping out of the tyre hole. I've heard of a folded fiver being used before. But obviously you need to spot the damage in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
              Tubeless won't help with a torn tyre. You needed a tyre-boot or some way of stopping the tube popping out of the tyre hole. I've heard of a folded fiver being used before. But obviously you need to spot the damage in the first place
              That's a new one on me. Will make sure I add one to my emergency repair kit.

Comment

That's a new one on me. Will make sure I add one to my emergency repair kit.
                I use a old plastic toothpaste tube, washed out and cut along the seam lengthwise to open it up.

Comment

Used Gel wrappers can work to patch a cut in a tyre in a pinch.

Last time our group was out and someone had a tyre explode, passing motorist stopped and pulled a track pump, repair kit and spare inner tube from their boot. Guess they were both a cyclist AND a motorist, (that would confuse the daily "fake news" mail... )

Comment

Just has a double blowout over the Mendips so thought I'd limp down to Burrington Combe to get a new tube.

Get all the way down there & the bike shop's not there any more & I'm 20 miles from home.

Feck

So I hail a passing MAMIL and ask if he knew where the nearest shop was. "I'm not stopping" was his reply

Then another one "Dunno mate" again without stopping.

I know what it is, they're all trying to get Strava PBs. Just like they are when I'm walking the dog on the Avon Cycleway & they come hurtling past....

Now, if I'd been out on my motorcycle & something had happened the first biker to have come along would have stopped and given me the shirt of his back.

Chalk and cheese.
                    I would have stopped, but you are on the Flying Baby Haters Backlist.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      Maybe thats cuz I look hot in Lycra

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X