• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Music in the office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Do you work in a call centre?

If someone said 'You're just a contractor' to me I'll tell them to **** off.
    No, a regular IT job, not a call centre.
    You have a good point, and I did notice. It is not very diplomatic to call someone "just" a anything if you want to foster a good relationship with them. But I am the bigger man, so let it pass.

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Jeez. So many people on here don't really understand this contracting lark, do they? You're there to bill not to moan about or influence company policy.
    If you couldn't stand it you should have walked out, otherwise leave well enough alone
    I wouldn't go as far as say "should".
    According to a strict capitalist principle you could argue that their mistake in having this music is something that should be punished in the open market. But in fixing (or trying to fix) this problem I am arguably providing an additional service to them, which will (might) be rewarded through more respect/money/contract duration etc in the future.

And there is an opportunity cost of walking out of a contract, with a minimum of a couple of weeks out of contract, and likely more.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      No, a regular IT job, not a call centre.
      You have a good point, and I did notice. It is not very diplomatic to call someone "just" a anything if you want to foster a good relationship with them. But I am the bigger man, so let it pass.

I wouldn't go as far as say "should".
      According to a strict capitalist principle you could argue that their mistake in having this music is something that should be punished in the open market. But in fixing (or trying to fix) this problem I am arguably providing an additional service to them, which will (might) be rewarded through more respect/money/contract duration etc in the future.

And there is an opportunity cost of walking out of a contract, with a minimum of a couple of weeks out of contract, and likely more.
      Going out on a limb here, but I guess you were hanging out with the Marxist crowd at uni while smoking pot. Fair play to you.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
        Going out on a limb here, but I guess you were hanging out with the Marxist crowd at uni while smoking pot. Fair play to you.
        Look, he's got his own plane, he's not scrabbling around for airmiles.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          This might well result in a shorter contract than it would otherwise be, but at least I tried to persuade them.
          Oh dear....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
            Oh dear....

Nice photoshop. And you even got the make of plane the same as mine (a "Jabiru")
            #attentionToDetail

That crash was a funny one. Nobody injured as they tried to take off from a beach:

Comment

Well done on alienating yourself from the rest of the office so soon!

What you should have done is organise an office outing to an 80s club one Friday.

You just can't teach this stuff, you just can't,...

Comment

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
                Well done on alienating yourself from the rest of the office so soon!

What you should have done is organise an office outing to an 80s club one Friday.

You just can't teach this stuff, you just can't,...
                And a picture of Fronttoback out on the town with his colleagues emerges, love the headdress

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Siliconix used to have music playing over the tannoy when I started there.

Even now, all these years later, hearing "Walking on the Moon" creates an uncontrollable urge to kill.

Happily that stopped and individual earphone were provided for those who wished to listen.

However, coding on a HP200 system in the QA lab was a bit trying with a ghetto blaster playing on the opposite bench.

Neither of which compared to the joy of listening to Mr Awkward's favourite Talk radio station in Cwmbran whilst writing endless 6303 assembler.

After the nth play of the 3 little piggies advert on said channel, I was almost uncontrollably homicidal.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    And a picture of Fronttoback out on the town with his colleagues emerges, love the headdress

Is he the American First Nation? Or the cowboy?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Is he the American First Nation? Or the cowboy?

I'm not sure what you mean by that babe, but im perma tanned up because I live on the med. So I'm probably like the feathered chap babe.

Comment

Working...
                      X