• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lightning Fast Development Machine for home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My work development machine has 10240gb memory and 141 processors with SMT (the smaller one only has 36 processors and 1.5tb of memory) and we won't start on storage suffice to say that it includes SSD, flash, HDD and a couple of other options
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I would go with a Novatech Elite Laptop, meets your spec & UK built.
      I use them for 3D animation/rendering & they do pack a punch, solid workhorse & tech support is first class too.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        My work development machine has 10240gb memory and 141 processors with SMT (the smaller one only has 36 processors and 1.5tb of memory) and we won't start on storage suffice to say that it includes SSD, flash, HDD and a couple of other options
        Yeah, yeah, and I work on a Cray with 3 Pflops, 4k nodes, 85k cores and 10PB of storage, but it ain't mine

We're talking about home PCs and, in that context, it's tough to outdo the one DimPrawn linked...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Yeah, yeah, and I work on a Cray with 3 Pflops, 4k nodes, 85k cores and 10PB of storage, but it ain't mine

We're talking about home PCs and, in that context, it's tough to outdo the one DimPrawn linked...
          Biggest one I got at home is a Sun T5240 with 128gb RAM, 2 SPARC Cpu's with Coolthreads reporting 128 vCPU's...

Only a poxy 8x146gb HDD tho, 2.5" SAS......

Since I moved house, it's been in the garage since Aug, not seen it since then, buried under shiite.......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Biggest one I got at home is a Sun T5240 with 128gb RAM, 2 SPARC Cpu's with Coolthreads reporting 128 vCPU's...

Only a poxy 8x146gb HDD tho, 2.5" SAS......

Since I moved house, it's been in the garage since Aug, not seen it since then, buried under shiite.......
            Nice....it's been a long time since I worked on a Sun workstation, but I recall the hardware being bulletproof....and pricey.

Comment

My brother has the old Mac Pro (before they ruined it) which still ranks pretty highly IMO.

He's a musician/composer so apparently does actually need it for orchestral stuff.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Plenty of good suggestions thus far.

After endless research I have found the perfect machine for the OP.

I'm hoping the manufacturers name of "Fisher Price" won't put him off

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Plenty of good suggestions thus far.

After endless research I have found the perfect machine for the OP.

I'm hoping the manufacturers name of "Fisher Price" won't put him off

Can you buy it in John Lewis?
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Can you buy it in John Lewis?
                    I'm very sure you can Sue
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      I'm very sure you can Sue
                      The OP will be happy with the 2 year guarantee and ease of return.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X