• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half of new homes built in Britain the next five years will go to migrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I think the big pity is that the Leave result seems to have been interpreted as a poll on immigration. A lot of Leavers I talked to just wanted to get rid of any control by Brussels.
    This, for me, is the big issue; votes for the referendum were cast on both sides for a variety of reasons.

No one really knows what the drivers were that made people vote either way, & politicians & media are claiming what ever scenario suits their own political views.

The situation was too complex for a simple yes / no referendum
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      and what proportion of those came through the EU?
      Since we are not in Schengen, probably close to 0%.
      If we were in Schengen, the migrant camps in Calais would not exist, since they wpuld be able to walk straight through.

FFS your command of geography and politics is abysmal.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Since we are not in Schengen, probably close to 0%.
        If we were in Schengen, the migrant camps in Calais would not exist, since they wpuld be able to walk straight through.

FFS your command of geography and politics is abysmal.
        If the EU & Schengen didn't exist the migrants that have walked etc across Europe would be stuck at the Turkish / Greek border and we would have sent all those that come from the Calais Jungle straight back to France.

Good to see you are still capable of Cretinism of the highest level.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          If the EU & Schengen didn't exist the migrants that have walked etc across Europe would be stuck at the Turkish / Greek border and we would have sent all those that come from the Calais Jungle straight back to France.

Good to see you are still capable of Cretinism of the highest level.
          Even without Schengen it's possible to walk across Europe.

It is harder as you would only be able to do it in summer to ensure you avoided routes with border guards but still possible. For example look for stories on those crossing from Russia to Norway.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It is harder as you would only be able to do it in summer to ensure you avoided routes with border guards but still possible. For example look for stories on those crossing from Russia to Norway.
            all things are possible but the harder it is the less likely.

Comment

It's in the Daily Mail so it must be true!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                It's in the Daily Mail Telegraph so it must be true!
                5.3 million new homes needed as ageing and immigration drive demand 

FTFY

Comment

There is a myth that before Schengen there was barbed wire circled around all European countries. You could always walk across a border in a remote field. That's why when Brits rail about Schengen, they're spouting nonsense. The UK has the most illegal immigrants and it isn't even in Schengen. It's a bit like Trump banning muslims from countries in which he doesn't have a Trump chain hotel. Doesn't make sense but the voters like it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    There is a myth that before Schengen there was barbed wire circled around all European countries. You could always walk across a border in a remote field. That's why when Brits rail about Schengen, they're spouting nonsense. The UK has the most illegal immigrants and it isn't even in Schengen. It's a bit like Trump banning muslims from countries in which he doesn't have a Trump chain hotel. Doesn't make sense but the voters like it.

The example I've always heard used is walking across the mountains bordering France and Spain, the Pyrenees. Very easy to do in Summer if you are fit as it's impossible to put border guards on all the paths.

The Norway - Russia one I was amazed by as people were cycling across in winter, and their winters aren't like ours.

Anyway Schengen just formalised what was being done already. Unlike in the UK the police can stop you in other Europe countries and ask you for ID, which you have to have on you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The example I've always heard used is walking across the mountains bordering France and Spain, the Pyrenees. Very easy to do in Summer if you are fit as it's impossible to put border guards on all the paths.

The Norway - Russia one I was amazed by as people were cycling across in winter, and their winters aren't like ours.

Anyway Schengen just formalised what was being done already. Unlike in the UK the police can stop you in other Europe countries and ask you for ID, which you have to have on you.
                      This is exactly the point, agree with this. It's all about communities insisting on ID's to claim benefits, get a job etc and clamping down on illegal employment, benefit cheats etc.

I lived in Luxembourg which is a tiny country of several thousand people, where you could argue it will be "swamped" by 500 million would be immigrants as there was no border control. Yet you barely saw a tramp.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X