• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Nighmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Just need Wilmslow and suity to appear and provide career advice now.
    If that doesn't tip him over the edge, nothing will...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      I think that's what he is doing, hence the "short trip to Clifton". Don't do it BBP, you're not a failure, even if you think you are. We all get dealt a tulip hand once in a while, it's called life. Forget about the crap interview, forgive yourself (v. important) and focus on the next one. If failure can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, success can be too.

PS - if you get the next one, I'm on 10% (no VAT for cash)
      Unfortunately it's been an unending sequence of bad luck for months.

I guess all the personal trauma can rub off and put you in a bad place which must affect how you are perceived at work & in interviews.

Yes, I haven't given up on seeing light at the end of the tunnel but it's hard & I'd gladly give you the 10% if I get in on a good role & the budget isn't canned after 1 month or some such nonsense...

Comment

Went for a second interview at Agfa, Brentford (first interview was in Leeds) 2009, did my research, located the site on Google Earth (not sure if maps existed then) drove down in plenty of time, rolled up to building just off M4/A4, parked up in an 'Agfa Visitor' marked parking space, waited and about 5 mins before interview time strolled up to the reception desk, only to be told Agfa have moved to a building on the opposite side of the M4/A4 and I can't park where I am.

Panic mode.

And for some reason I can't remember there was no way to get across other than driving down to next junction and coming back.

So I did that, 4:00pm, massive queues (it's just come to me - Chiswick Roundabout?) eventually got on M4/A4/Westway whatever it was, drove on, missed the junction to turn round on, drove almost to Newbury Junction and managed to turn back, 17 miles later I was back at the roundabout with 1 min left or so (these timings may have been exaggerated over time). Missed the entrance to car park, had enough, just reversed on an A road and got in via the exit somehow and parked up.

Turned up for interview all ruffled with mahoosive sweat patches in every region and didn't get the gig.

Me and buildings.....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Went for a second interview at Agfa, Brentford (first interview was in Leeds) 2009, did my research, located the site on Google Earth (not sure if maps existed then) drove down in plenty of time, rolled up to building just off M4/A4, parked up in an 'Agfa Visitor' marked parking space, waited and about 5 mins before interview time strolled up to the reception desk, only to be told Agfa have moved to a building on the opposite side of the M4/A4 and I can't park where I am.

Panic mode.

And for some reason I can't remember there was no way to get across other than driving down to next junction and coming back.

So I did that, 4:00pm, massive queues (it's just come to me - Chiswick Roundabout?) eventually got on M4/A4/Westway whatever it was, drove on, missed the junction to turn round on, drove almost to Newbury Junction and managed to turn back, 17 miles later I was back at the roundabout with 1 min left or so (these timings may have been exaggerated over time). Missed the entrance to car park, had enough, just reversed on an A road and got in via the exit somehow and parked up.

Turned up for interview all ruffled with mahoosive sweat patches in every region and didn't get the gig.

Me and buildings.....
          Least you found it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

God, just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.
            Originally posted by Bee View Post
            What have you done?
            Paid NLYUK for a bargain happy ending?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Unfortunately it's been an unending sequence of bad luck for months.

I guess all the personal trauma can rub off and put you in a bad place which must affect how you are perceived at work & in interviews.

Yes, I haven't given up on seeing light at the end of the tunnel but it's hard & I'd gladly give you the 10% if I get in on a good role & the budget isn't canned after 1 month or some such nonsense...
              Life can be like that.

Sometimes you are in a rut and it just feels like an endless slog.

Throw in some personal issues and a couple of instances of bad luck and anyone would be feeling low, depressed and worthless.

But it's just a phase. It will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Life can be like that.

Sometimes you are in a rut and it just feels like an endless slog.

Throw in some personal issues and a couple of instances of bad luck and anyone would be feeling low, depressed and worthless.

But it's just a phase. It will pass.
                indeed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

Attar records the fable of a powerful king who asks assembled wise men to create a ring that will make him happy when he is sad. After deliberation the sages hand him a simple ring with the words "This too will pass" etched on it, which has the desired effect to make him happy when he is sad. It also, however, became a curse for whenever he is happy.[1]
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  Paid NLYUK for a bargain happy ending?
                  Wouldn't need the ground to open up for him to be swallowed then.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think you get to a point where failure becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's hard enough picking yourself back up when you're young but I'm 52 now and I reallyu feel I'm on life's scrapheap.

Oh well, at least it's only a short trip up to Clifton.....
                    Take a holiday some where warm, should be quite cheap at the moment. I was stuck once, went on holiday, landed a role over the phone from a beach shack. It can be done, you just have to realise, you are as good as the next guy.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I think you get to a point where failure becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's hard enough picking yourself back up when you're young but I'm 52 now and I reallyu feel I'm on life's scrapheap.

Oh well, at least it's only a short trip up to Clifton.....
                      I'm 55 and just in last few weeks had a massive scare, like 'am I gonna die' scare. Seems I'm ok now so nothing is phasing me at the moment, I've binned my contract, and basically spent three weeks in bed to recuperate, and loved it!

First time I've relaxed in years, even on holiday before I could never switch off.

Things have a habit of resolving themselves, and I watched all 14 eps of The Thin Blue line last night and it was great!

Comment

Working...
                      X