• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trump's Muslim Ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 24 hours a judge in the US cancelled part of the Trump's decree.
    Finally, someone with good sense stopped the Muslims deportations in the airports.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      British Vet has been caught up in it as well. Trying to fly back from Costa Rica to the UK via New York. Told she was barred from boarding the flight and left stranded. Cost £2,600 to book new tickets via Milan. Won't be able to pay rent, bills, food etc as a result.

Funds raised for US flight ban vet to return to Glasgow - BBC News
      Well, she's not a British Vet. She's an Iranian living in Scotland. However, the principle stands that the new rule is completely nuts.

Comment

A lawyer writes:

This order reads to me, frankly, as though it was not reviewed by competent counsel at all...

I don’t believe that the stated purpose is the real purpose. This is the first policy the United States has adopted in the post-9/11 era about which I have ever said this. It’s a grave charge, I know, and I’m not making it lightly. But in the rational pursuit of security objectives, you don’t marginalize your expert security agencies and fail to vet your ideas through a normal interagency process. You don’t target the wrong people in nutty ways when you’re rationally pursuing real security objectives.
        Malevolence Tempered by Incompetence: Trump’s Horrifying Executive Order on Refugees and Visas

Comment

Doubt even many righties agree with this. We should not pretend there is not a growing Islamist threat and immigration controls do need to be tighter but if you target all Muslims so indiscriminately you may exacerbate the problem by increasing the resentment. Also the language used may make it harder for Muslims in the US to get jobs and harder for those who are willing to integrate to do so, again factors that could exacerbate the problem.

PS Mind you, even though I do generally believe in global warming, I do totally support Trump in not wanting to meet that **** Prince Charles. When are we going to get shot of the monarchy and house of Lords and aim for a real democracy?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...te-change.html
          Last edited by xoggoth; 29 January 2017, 17:24.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I guess this ends any hope that Trump was just saying these things to get elected and wouldn't turn out to be too bad once he got the keys.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

PS Mind you, even though I do generally believe in global warming, I do totally support Trump in not wanting to meet that **** Prince Charles. When are we going to get shot of the monarchy and house of Lords and aim for a real democracy?

Trump to 'avoid Charles on UK visit over climate change' | Daily Mail Online
              Not until you are long dead.

Unfortunately presidents like Trump and Sarkozy, and prime ministers like Blair and Camoron mean that the British people will not seek to have an elected head of the country. Plus his eldest son and his mother, the Queen, both seem to know unlike him when to keep their mouths shut.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So if the aim of the terrorists is to sow chaos and doubt ... have they won?

Anyone wishing to sign the petition requesting the State visit be cancelled
                Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.

Donald Trump's well documented misogyny and vulgarity disqualifies him from being received by Her Majesty the Queen or the Prince of Wales. Therefore during the term of his presidency Donald Trump should not be invited to the United Kingdom for an official State Visit.

Can find it here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928
                Last edited by pjclarke; 29 January 2017, 20:03.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

President Donald Trump enters office facing low job approval ratings and skepticism from voters, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.

The survey found that 36% of American voters approve of Trump's handling of his job after his first week, while 44% say they disapprove. By comparison, former President Barack Obama received a 59%-25% approval rating in the first Quinnipiac poll taken after his inauguration in 2009.

Asked how they expected Trump's presidency to turn out, 43% say they think Trump will be a "good" or "great" president, while 52% said they expect Trump will be "not so good" or "bad" -- with 36% expecting the worst.

Still, 53% of Americans said they are optimistic about Trump's presidency, and more say that Trump will help the economy than hurt it.
                  The Quinnipiac poll also found that American voters are critical of Trump's personal qualities. Large majorities say that he is not level-headed or honest, and 53% say that he "does not care about average Americans."

Working in Trump's favor: Slightly more say that Trump has good leadership skills (49% to 46%), and large majorities believe that he is intelligent and a strong person.
                  The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted between January 20 and 25, and surveyed 1,190 voters nationwide. It has a margin of error of +/- 2.8 points.

Not good, as his appeal was said to be to the 'ordinary joes' excluded by the system.

Poll: 36% approve of Trump's job performance - CNNPolitics.com
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Sir Mo Farah: Olympic champion criticises Donald Trump's US travel ban - BBC Sport

For every Mo Farah, there's 100 ordinary citizens in the same boat.

Comment

For those wondering how Kafkaesque things might get: before the Executive Order was promulgated, some people who had valid visas boarded flights to the USA. While they were in the air, their visas were cancelled. When they landed in the USA, they were detained, charged with violating immigration law for trying to enter the country without a valid visa, and have been automatically given a five year ban from applying for admission to the USA because of that.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/29/...nd-resistance/

Comment

Working...
                      X