• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Discussion - Predictions of Britain in a Post Brexit world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainframe gent View Post
    The EURO will be implemented across the whole of the EU which will bring Greece etc out of recession
    I'm not sure about that. I can see Greece coming out of its mess once it fully capitulates to the EU/Germany. Then once control is there then the EU may invest resources in Greece. But at the moment its just going nothing to produce/sell. It can't devalue, it can't pay its payments off to Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I'm not sure about that. I can see Greece coming out of its mess once it fully capitulates to the EU/Germany. Then once control is there then the EU may invest resources in Greece. But at the moment its just going nothing to produce/sell. It can't devalue, it can't pay its payments off to Germany.
      Funny how Brexiters point to Greece as somehow being Germany's fault, an impression the Greeks are happy to promote.
      But from their accession to the EU and the Euro the Greeks went on a spending spree, public servants retiring on full pensions at 50, 13th month extra salaries for public workers, having one of the largest militaries in Europe (AFAIK Greece has more tanks and planes than the UK) etc. etc.
      Now they have to pay for their profligacy, the whining is loud, and yet the vast majority still want to say in the EU.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Switzerland caved in to the EU*, so your predictions are already proven false.

* Well, not really. The reason being that Switzerland's laws have already got freedom of movement enshrined from previous referendums. The federal government has always (as a body) been against the SVP's proposal, as it directly tries to overturn those previous referendums, which isn't something that can be really done. The compromise reached is that Swiss people will be given priority in areas of high unemployment over EU applicants, for defined periods of time.

A large portion of the cleaning workforce is Portuguese, so sas might fit in very well.
        Is he good enough to clean though???

The Swiss MP on the radio earlier in the week was saying they were keen to see how the UK negotiations developed as the UK and the Swiss appear to want the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Funny how Brexiters point to Greece as somehow being Germany's fault, an impression the Greeks are happy to promote.
          But from their accession to the EU and the Euro the Greeks went on a spending spree, public servants retiring on full pensions at 50, 13th month extra salaries for public workers, having one of the largest militaries in Europe (AFAIK Greece has more tanks and planes than the UK) etc. etc.
          Now they have to pay for their profligacy, the whining is loud, and yet the vast majority still want to say in the EU.
          The EU failed the due diligence on Greek economics ahead of accepting them into the EURO (did any country actually meet the Euro entry tests?). This was ideology and politics above economics. I don't have a problem with that, but you have to pick up the mess when it unravels. Greece has some of the blame, but also the other Euro States.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

'Leave' looks like...

I predict the NHS will not get £350million a week, or even £100million a week: Statement by Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and Gisela Stuart on NHS funding - Vote Leave

I predict we won't see a cut in VAT on fuel:
            Statement by Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and Gisela Stuart for The Sun - Vote Leave to cut VAT on fuel - Vote Leave

...or was it the removal of VAT on fuel?:
            A framework for taking back control and establishing a new UK-EU deal after 23 June - Vote Leave

I predict there will be a reduction in funding compared to what currently comes from the EU:
            Leave Ministers commit to maintain EU funding - Vote Leave

I predict very few laws will change:
            VOTE LEAVE FOR A FAIRER BRITAIN - Vote Leave

I predict immigration will not be reduced to the tens of thousands.

I predict blind brexiters will still blame the EU for everything that the little snowflakes see as wrong with their lives.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              The EU failed the due diligence on Greek economics ahead of accepting them into the EURO (did any country actually meet the Euro entry tests?). This was ideology and politics above economics. I don't have a problem with that, but you have to pick up the mess when it unravels. Greece has some of the blame, but also the other Euro States.
              I think you'll find that it was primarily down to companies like Goldman Sachs lying actually...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I'm positive even though some of you are negative; you are not the leaders or the wealth creators. We are in a great position, we have a long history with many countries around the world that share our language and laws. The UK's soft power is amazing, the influence this country has is frankly amazing, the UK as a brand is incredibly positive.

Stop moaning and do something positive.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Yep Greece accepted loads of money and spent it on German goods. Then to the surprise of no one it couldn't pay it back. German banks really exposed here. Then Germany takes control of Greece and strips it of assets. Then a punitive plan is put into place and Greece has little chance to get out of this mess.

Yep that sounds a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                    Goldman Sachs failed the due diligence on Greek economics ahead of accepting them into the EURO (did any country actually meet the Euro entry tests?). .
                    FTFY
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Then Germany takes control of Greece and strips it of assets.

Yep that sounds a good thing.
                      FFS don't be a cretin.

Paying back your debts is not the same as asset stripping.

If anything Greece is a failed state being kept afloat by the German taxpayer.

And a substantial portion of its debts has already been forgiven, of course Creditors are reluctant in general to forgive debts because of moral hazard i.e. pour encourager les autres

Greece always has the option to leave the EU, default on its debts and adopt the drachma.
                      But it wants to stay in the EU and has to follow the rules, not unreasonably.

Brexiters seem to have problems with the concept of following the rules of club membership.
                      Last edited by sasguru; 20 January 2017, 11:37.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X