• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa May's Brexit Plan I Want, I Want, I Want

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Then why din't we veto it?

We could have but stood on the sidelines. Blame Parliament not Brussels.
    I'm not sure why the UK was the only country that didn't put a break on numbers of EE when they joined in 2003-4. Because we didn't we got it all.

Germany did (love the double principles of a country that extols FOM; using the break btw!).

I guess that ultimately you can sell more in a bigger market and the financial powers rule the world (Davos!), so they saw profit and went for it with bells on.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      FOM wasn't a big issue with 12 broadly similar Western European economies. But expanding to 28 with a whole bunch of weak Eastern European counties fundamentally changed the dynamic.
      Yeah, but those 'weak Eastern European countries' are getting stronger and stronger due to their membership in the EU:

1. Ireland - 4.5%
      2. Romania - 4.2%
      3. Malta - 3.9%
      4. Luxembourg - 3.8%
      5. Poland - 3.5%
      6= Sweden - 3.2%
      6= Slovakia - 3.2%
      8. Latvia - 3.1%
      9. Lithuania - 2.9%
      10. Spain - 2.8%

And as you can see, and this map actually came true, Eastern European countries are catching up on the UK. Just think, after Brexit they may well be stronger economically than the UK and you won't be able to go and move there to work...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Yeah, but those 'weak Eastern European countries' are getting stronger and stronger due to their membership in the EU:

1. Ireland - 4.5%
        2. Romania - 4.2%
        3. Malta - 3.9%
        4. Luxembourg - 3.8%
        5. Poland - 3.5%
        6= Sweden - 3.2%
        6= Slovakia - 3.2%
        8. Latvia - 3.1%
        9. Lithuania - 2.9%
        10. Spain - 2.8%

And as you can see, and this map actually came true, Eastern European countries are catching up on the UK. Just think, after Brexit they may well be stronger economically than the UK and you won't be able to go and move there to work...

Since when was Ireland, Luxemberg, Sweden, and Spain in Eastern Europe?

Comment

You will have to excuse darmstadt, geography is not his thing. He is still struggling with arses, elbows, and what day of the week it is.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My apologies for not putting a heading on it but I thought that with your intelligence you might have worked out that those are the top 10 growing economies in Europe. Mind you, Brexiters probably think that they are in Eastern Europe because there are so many Eastern Europeans not in Eastern Europe...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              My apologies for not putting a heading on it but I thought that with your intelligence you might have worked out that those are the top 10 growing economies in Europe. Mind you, Brexiters probably think that they are in Eastern Europe because there are so many Eastern Europeans not in Eastern Europe...
              With a little help from their friends;

Comment

With a little help from their friends;
                I always think of Poland as being relatively prosperous compared to its other Eastern EU brethren. I don't understand why it would be such a large recipient of EU funds.

Of course, in a world where the UK is not in the EU but Scotland is (come on, use your imagination), Scotland would be well at the bottom of that chart. Maybe that's the appeal to Scots?
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  I always think of Poland as being relatively prosperous compared to its other Eastern EU brethren. I don't understand why it would be such a large recipient of EU funds.

Of course, in a world where the UK is not in the EU but Scotland is (come on, use your imagination), Scotland would be well at the bottom of that chart. Maybe that's the appeal to Scots?
                  Poland was a powerful country until Ww2, it has excellent resources and strong countrymen. Not surprised it is doing well, even with a bit of help.

But let's be open and honest about the wealth re-distribution that has occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    At long last...I've managed to transform the contents of my colostomy bag into text. Prepare for more deep and thoughtful insights...

Corrected that for you

Comment

Poland was a powerful country until Ww2, it has excellent resources and strong countrymen. Not surprised it is doing well, even with a bit of help.

But let's be open and honest about the wealth re-distribution that has occurred.

The wealth re-distribution is the whole point of the EU Union.

The point is to bring all of the countries to the same economic level, to achieve this some will go up, some will go down, and some will stagnate, simple mathematics

Once all the countries are the same economically, there will be less chance of conflicts

Hence why the EU is there

hope that helps

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X