• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Theresa May's Brexit Plan I Want, I Want, I Want"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Now I know where I've been going wrong all along.
    If only sas. If only.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Now I know where I've been going wrong all along. I've stupidly been paying my tennis club dues for 5 years. Tomorrow I'm going to stop paying and demand free access to the courts and club house. Because I'm worth it.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by A Brexiter View Post
    "Afternoon, Sir. Can we help?"
    "Yeah - I want a better deal on my membership."
    "OK, here's the best we can do."
    "That's not good enough for me."
    "Really? No-one else in the club has such a deal."
    "Well, I don't like the paying and I don't like the rules. I don't like how we vote. You're all a dictator. I've decided - I'm leaving. I'm cancelling my membership."
    "OK"
    "But I still want access."
    "Right. OK - we can sort out some partial access deal... but you'd need full membership for full access."
    "Oh, so you want to punish me for not being a member, eh?!"
    "No..."
    "Yes, you're punishing me. You're just like a WWII prison guard beating me for trying to escape."
    "Um, what? You're free to go..."
    "You need me more than I need you!"
    "Please go..."

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It is comfortable to blame others, I'll give you that.

Compared to a number of other smaller EU states (and larger) infrastructure has remained state owned. Here in the UK we privatise the lot for a quick cash injection and happy shareholders. Profit is not returned to the state, why would we expect improvement?

Indeed small businesses throughout Germany receive much support from the state, selling their products throughout the EU. The UK is about to throw a number of hurdles in front of small business to access the EU. If I were a small business I'd be seriously looking to relocated to the larger customer base.

In my view the UK can only blame itself. I recall the third Heathrow runway being discussed 16 year ago. It'll be beyond 20 before it becomes. Meanwhile Germany has built a new high-speed railway between Munich and Berlin.

As the saying goes you don't know what you've lost until it's gone. And it's not a lesson that needs teaching as younger generations shall now be deprived of opportunity by a hysterical older generation.
    Up down or stagnating was the question!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    May will get what she wants - Brexit that means Brexit.

And why not, she asked for it?
    A red, white and blue Brexit.

"Allons enfants de la Patrie
    Le jour de gloire est arrive.."

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    May will get what she wants - Brexit that means Brexit.

And why not, she asked for it?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Yes, you have to protect the ideology regardless of how much it hurts your own people.
    Ah, the North Korean analogy

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Did you copy that from the Tory manifesto?
    No, he simply extrapolated it from the available data. You should try it sometime.

Honestly, it makes one wonder just how you keep that dunce's hat of yours secured to that low sloping forehead. Do you just sit still a lot or have you stapled it into the wood?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Yes, you have to protect the ideology regardless of how much it hurts your own people.
    Did you copy that from the Tory manifesto?

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Many Brexitiers just don't get this very simple statement:

Joseph Muscat, prime minister of Malta, which holds the EU’s rotating presidency: “We want a fair deal for the UK, but that deal needs to be inferior to membership. This should not come as a surprise. Thinking it can come otherwise indicates a detachment from reality.”

Good to see that the German car manufacturers acknowledge that punishing us will hurt them too though. I'm sure they are happy with that.
    Last edited by GB9; 19 January 2017, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied

Joseph Muscat, prime minister of Malta, which holds the EU’s rotating presidency: “We want a fair deal for the UK, but that deal needs to be inferior to membership. This should not come as a surprise. Thinking it can come otherwise indicates a detachment from reality.”
    It will be inferior - there will be no unrestricted freedom of movement of people.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

Restricted movement would be inferior to full membership.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Compared to a number of other smaller EU states (and larger) infrastructure has remained state owned. Here in the UK we privatise the lot for a quick cash injection and happy shareholders. Profit is not returned to the state, why would we expect improvement?

Indeed small businesses throughout Germany receive much support from the state, selling their products throughout the EU. The UK is about to throw a number of hurdles in front of small business to access the EU. If I were a small business I'd be seriously looking to relocated to the larger customer base.

In my view the UK can only blame itself. I recall the third Heathrow runway being discussed 16 year ago. It'll be beyond 20 before it becomes. Meanwhile Germany has built a new high-speed railway between Munich and Berlin.

As the saying goes you don't know what you've lost until it's gone. And it's not a lesson that needs teaching as younger generations shall now be deprived of opportunity by a hysterical older generation.

Scooter,

as I am sure you well know, what you have described is the unfortunate difference between us (Britain) and ze Germans

Us (Britain) unfortunately, in general, our government and big business are totally short term oriented, privatization, quick money here, quick money there, from the Government through to big business and the banking system, there is no culture or mentality to invest in the long term

Ze Germans, they are, and always have been, long term thinkers and players, they lay down foundations for industries which will become world players during the next 2, 3, or 4 generations and on a continuously rolling basis, with this underlying mentality and culture, they have a government and business and bank lending system which is happy with long term planning and long term returns and not distracted by a quick buck here and there

Unfortunately, that is how it is, and that is one of the fundamental keys to their success

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    So excluding brexit is the UK going up, down, or stagnating?

In your view?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X