• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get your thieving Oirish hands off our apples!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Personally I prefer perry
    Babycham.

Another great Shepton Mallet product!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      d000hg probably counts Skol as a lager.
      If it factually is lager - it undergoes the lagering process as part of brewing - then of course.

This snobbery "I don't like it so it's not cider" is rather childish. It may be mass-produced, chemically stabilised, overly carbonated crap but it is still cider.

Hopefully the cider I'm currently making will be better - I've done it from kits before but this is my first batch direct from apples.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

First they close the cider mill, now they decide they'll continue using Somerset apples to make their Irish "apple based alcopop" that doesn't even merit being called a cider.
        Strange, the majority of cider and cider apples comes from Northern France. (read the labels)
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If it factually is lager - it undergoes the lagering process as part of brewing - then of course.

This snobbery "I don't like it so it's not cider" is rather childish. It may be mass-produced, chemically stabilised, overly carbonated crap but it is still cider.

Hopefully the cider I'm currently making will be better - I've done it from kits before but this is my first batch direct from apples.
          you can make it with just apple juice from a carton, its not bad.

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/medi...urbo_cider.pdf

Though having planted 4 apple trees I'm hoping to try it for real soon.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

There's nothing snobbish about failing to recognise Skol as a lager.

Strongbow is to cider what Fosters and Carlsberg are to lager - the cheap alternatives. It's not snobbery to dismiss it, it's simply a matter of taste and principles.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hmmm, booze made from apples. Actually my local tipple is just that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein and although the article says that this is cider, its not, that is actually cidre. Once you try it, you'll see that there is a difference
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have neither taste nor principles - and therefore fully enjoy a strongbow.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  There's nothing snobbish about failing to recognise Skol as a lager.

Strongbow is to cider what Fosters and Carlsberg are to lager - the cheap alternatives. It's not snobbery to dismiss it, it's simply a matter of taste and principles.
                  Yes, fosters is a cheap LAGER, Strongbow is a cheap CIDER. It is snobbery because these are simple facts. I don't think there is a way to explain this any more simply so you just go on thinking it if that makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    you can make it with just apple juice from a carton, its not bad.

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/medi...urbo_cider.pdf

Though having planted 4 apple trees I'm hoping to try it for real soon.
                    Yeah it's apparently just as good using cheap concentrate rather than non-concentrate premium juice too, you just have to leave it a year to mature and lose the rough edges. Very very easy and cheap to make a nice 8% cider that way.

What apple varieties have you gone for? Unless you have a cider variety, you're supposed to use a mix of cooking apples (malic acid), eating apples (sugar) and crab apples (tannin) to get a nice balance.

The one I'm doing is a single-tree cooking apple cider which has enough sugar as it'sa particularly sweet cooking strain, but is very tart. I added tannin by simply brewing a strong jug of tea, but I think I need to treat it to reduce the acidity.

Comment

Quite partial to an Apfelkorn myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X