• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impressions of India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Interesting, will place that on my bucket list.
    South Goa is Ok though, still quite sleepy
    The North is ruined by the chav charter crowd.
    Twas always the way even in the late 80's.
    Check the Andamans, no flashy resorts, but all the better because of it.

Seen the biggest fish there out of anywhere in the world, as big as men and that was just snorkeling
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Check the Andamans, no flashy resorts, but all the better because of it.

Seen the biggest fish there out of anywhere in the world, as big as men and that was just snorkeling
      When I worked in Calcutta in the mid 90s, I took the mrs and 4 young sons with me (Yeah I know, but life is an adventure!!).

Anyway, for a bit of R&R we decided to visit the Andamans for a few days. When booking the flights we were informed that, as a large percentage of the seats on any flight were reserved for locals flying back there, we could only be put on a waiting list.

After enquiring further I was told that we were numbers 68-73 on the list. It did not sound promising.

I mentioned this in passing to one of the programme managers in the office. Lovely fella called Niladri. He mentioned that his father was a "big noise" with Indian Airlines and that I should give him half an hour then ring back to see where I now was on the waiting list.

This I did and oddly enough, we were now up to 3-8 on the list. This was sufficient to get us aboard and a good time was had by all.

We stayed at the hotel that Jacques Cousteau and his team had stayed at many years earlier, lovely big wooden place with great views, good food, and a nice pool.

For anyone that does manage to get there I'd definitely recommend a trip to Ross Island which is where the British had their headquarters for many years.

I'd also advise visiting the Cellular Jail which was built to house Indian Mutineers after the uprising in 1857. The sound and light show is phenomenal and the narration is "done" by an ancient tree that is in the grounds of said prison.

The mosquitoes will have a field day mind you, and the locals give you the odd quizzical look when the rather punitive actions of the Raj are outlined, but hey?

I imagine the place got pretty badly damaged in the Tsunami in 2004, but I am sure it has now been restored to its former glory.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        When I worked in Calcutta in the mid 90s, I took the mrs and 4 young sons with me (Yeah I know, but life is an adventure!!).

Anyway, for a bit of R&R we decided to visit the Andamans for a few days. When booking the flights we were informed that, as a large percentage of the seats on any flight were reserved for locals flying back there, we could only be put on a waiting list.

After enquiring further I was told that we were numbers 68-73 on the list. It did not sound promising.

I mentioned this in passing to one of the programme managers in the office. Lovely fella called Niladri. He mentioned that his father was a "big noise" with Indian Airlines and that I should give him half an hour then ring back to see where I now was on the waiting list.

This I did and oddly enough, we were now up to 3-8 on the list. This was sufficient to get us aboard and a good time was had by all.

We stayed at the hotel that Jacques Cousteau and his team had stayed at many years earlier, lovely big wooden place with great views, good food, and a nice pool.

For anyone that does manage to get there I'd definitely recommend a trip to Ross Island which is where the British had their headquarters for many years.

I'd also advise visiting the Cellular Jail which was built to house Indian Mutineers after the uprising in 1857. The sound and light show is phenomenal and the narration is "done" by an ancient tree that is in the grounds of said prison.

The mosquitoes will have a field day mind you, and the locals give you the odd quizzical look when the rather punitive actions of the Raj are outlined, but hey?

I imagine the place got pretty badly damaged in the Tsunami in 2004, but I am sure it has now been restored to its former glory.
        Great story, I know there was hardly anything there then.

As for your second point, "anything's possible in India", as I'm sure you already know
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

As for your second point, "anything's possible in India", as I'm sure you already know
          Oh yes, that was on Page 1 of the "How to do business in India" Guide.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Oh yes, that was on Page 1 of the "How to do business in India" Guide.
            You got it. In fact the old man taught me from a young age as he took us all round SE Asia when we were young

Nothing wrong with Number 7 Beach on Havelock, did you go there?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

You got it. In fact the old man taught me from a young age as he took us all round SE Asia when we were young

Nothing wrong with Number 7 Beach on Havelock, did you go there?

We stayed at the Fortune Resort and I recall taking a taxi ride with the kids to a beach a few miles away from there. It had Japanese Pillboxes at either end as I recall but not sure of the name.
              Also went on a scuba diving trip with a glass-bottomed boat too, might have been Elephant Island but memory is a bit hazy now.
              Happy days!

After a few days we headed up to Delhi and did a road trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. Around 5-6 hours each way in an Ambassador in early June. Warm enough!

I recall stopping at a "services station" which had snake-charmers, camel-rides, and a dancing bear!! Beats Costa and Subway for variety!
              So much to see there that I must go back someday.

Comment

Ah, well that beach, number 7, is known as Elephant Beach.......

Sounds like you may have stayed on the Island where Port Blair is.

Spent a number of happy trips In India and have stayed up to 8 months travelling around, All the Himalayan parts, most of the hill stations, Dharamsala, Rajasthan, Kerala, most of the capital cities and a lot of the East coast too.
                As I said I haven't been recently, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

Could quite easily go back to the Andaman's as it goes, had to use a little "local" help, myself, to pull the 2 month stay off.
                You are only usually allowed a month stay
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ah, well that beach, number 7, is known as Elephant Beach.......

Sounds like you may have stayed on the Island where Port Blair is.

Spent a number of happy trips In India and have stayed up to 8 months travelling around, All the Himalayan parts, most of the hill stations, Dharamsala, Rajasthan, Kerala, most of the capital cities and a lot of the East coast too.
                  As I said I haven't been recently, so I'm sure a lot has changed.

Could quite easily go back to the Andaman's as it goes, had to use a little "local" help, myself, to pull the 2 month stay off.
                  You are only usually allowed a month stay
                  That was the place, yes.

Had a few trips from Calcutta up to Delhi and one to Bombay, but other than that it was all work work work.
                  Bit envious of all the places YOU saw.

Quite fancy taking a few rail trips and maybe doing some of the Hill stations like Simla. Maybe one day.

Comment

Preferred Kerala to Goa. XMas lunch of lightly spiced Marlin was a highlight.

Comment

So much to see there that I must go back someday.
                      Only ever been on business, but this time I have to admit the place got under my skin.
                      Planning a holiday there next high season. Wouldn't mind a luxury train trip up North:

India Luxury Trains 4u | Enter The World of Great Rail Journeys

But first I have to get over my depression at coming back to this cold, grey, dismal weather, quite a come-down after the explosion of colour, sounds and smells that is India
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X