• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit: “unimaginably large” City Bloodbath

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather walk round Peckham with a nail in my shoe than live in Leeds.

Why do you keep posting rentals up?

As for the job?

Erm, no.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      So your saying an HGV driver couldn't afford this house ?

2 bedroom terraced house for sale in Ascot Terrace, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS9

yeah, yeah it's not a 5 bedroomed house in Kensington, and how will I afford my carribean holiday.

You're putting them in a two bed terrace. How very kind of you. That'll suit his 2 teenage kids.

I'm saying that a two bed terrace isn't an average house - it's a starter home. It was my first house purchase; I bought one for £37k in 97 and they're now on the market for almost three times that on the same street. I would suspect that the job that I had back then isn't paying treble what it was though.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        You're putting them in a two bed terrace. How very kind of you. That'll suit his 2 teenage kids.

I'm saying that a two bed terrace isn't an average house - it's a starter home. It was my first house purchase; I bought one for £37k in 97 and they're now on the market for almost three times that on the same street. I would suspect that the job that I had back then isn't paying treble what it was though.
        Gravy.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Gravy.
          If you want something you never had, you have to do something you've never done.

HTH

BabyBoomer

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            If you want something you never had, you have to do something you've never done.

HTH

BabyBoomer

Sadly I can't get in my tardis and buy a cheap house in the 1990's for peanuts because I am not a timelord.

Nor can I subsequently brag about how financially savvy I am because I happened to be in a fortunate circumstance where I could buy a house for a pittance.

So if your rich ass boomer world cracks just a little, because of brexit. Fan bloody tastic.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

When I bought my first house in Sheffield in 1988 it was 30 grand, my salary was 9 grand, the same house is now 120 grand (I checked), the same job woud pay around 30-40 k.

Now interest rates are much lower than they were in 1988.

Now if you look at real house prices (adjusted for inflation)

in 1988 they were 138 grand
              now they're 205 grand.

Graphs > Nationwide average house prices adjusted for inflation - HousePriceCrash.co.uk

Yes house prices are more expensive but the're not 3 times in real terms. There are desirable hot spots but you can easily find something much cheaper nearby.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                When I bought my first house in Sheffield in 1988 it was 30 grand, my salary was 9 grand, the same house is now 120 grand (I checked), the same job woud pay around 30-40 k.

Now interest rates are much lower than they were in 1988.

Now if you look at real house prices (adjusted for inflation)

in 1988 they were 138 grand
                now they're 205 grand.

Graphs > Nationwide average house prices adjusted for inflation - HousePriceCrash.co.uk

Yes house prices are more expensive but the're not 3 times in real terms. There are desirable hot spots but you can easily find something much cheaper nearby.
                Thanks for the anecdote.

I wasn't talking about buying in the '80's but buying in the '90's.

You've compared one peak to another.

It was Gravy 20 years ago. Gravy.

Better rates, less Tax/IR35 nonsense, cheap houses, loads of legit business expenses.

Gravy.
                Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 12 January 2017, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Now you know why they voted, Back to the 70's everyone

DD, the beer that made Fosters seem deeply pleasurable by comparison.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks for the anecdote.

Better rates, less Tax/IR35 nonsense, cheap houses, loads of legit business expenses.

Gravy.
                    And the women didn't look like plastic either.

Comment

Thanks for the anecdote.

Gravy.
                      Yes but the 1990's was an anomaly.

Another anecdote....My dad was a Doctor, even qualified from a London Hospital, up until he was 29 he lived in a room in the hospital, then got married and spent the next 6 or 7 years living in sh*t holes without central heating, In his late 30's finally managed to put a deposit on a house.

Your view of the past is based on fantasies.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X