• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Accept free movement or EU will restrict single market access, Angela Merkel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    To give you the benefit of the doubt, I assume you understand that it's technically impossible to "prevent" access to a marketplace without imposing sanctions, which I assume you're not talking about. So, what, precisely, do you mean by "no access"? No "tariff free" access? No access that is tariff free and without administrative impediments? An elementary degree of precision would help.
    Take whatever definition of "access" May and Co are claiming we can have, which is basically "exactly the same access as we have as members of the EU". Not that.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      It's worrying for everyone that we have a Prime Minister who very obviously doesn't have a clue what to do and daren't admit it
      Well she does have one big clue what to do - While awaiting the French election results in March, pray for a Marine le Pen victory.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The opposite of what BB said.
        If the government was really serious abour "Hard Brexit" there would not be all this dilly dallying, there would be absolutely no need for it. If you go into a negotiation all muddled with a mixed message, you are going to "lose". It's like going into a contract negotiation saying you aren't ruling out accepting a really sh*tty rate.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Well she does have one big clue what to do - While awaiting the French election results in March, pray for a Marine le Pen victory.
          "The first round of the 2017 French presidential election will be held on 23 April 2017. Should no candidate win an outright majority, a run-off between the top two will be held on 7 May 2017."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French...election,_2017

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Take whatever definition of "access" May and Co are claiming we can have, which is basically "exactly the same access as we have as members of the EU". Not that.
            Can you substantiate that with a quote from May?

I think you'll find she's be appropriately vague about "best possible access for British businesses to trade with and operate within", which is a conditional statement, based on her other objectives. Nothing about the same access, as I recall. It seems to me that you're projecting, rather than looking at this dispassionately. Either that, or you're still upset about the claims made during the campaigning period. Which is understandable, of course, because the BSE group was so measured in their counterclaims.

Comment

Can you substantiate that with a quote from May?
              Brexit is Brexit. OK?

Access is access.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                If the government was really serious abour "Hard Brexit" there would not be all this dilly dallying, there would be absolutely no need for it. If you go into a negotiation all muddled with a mixed message, you are going to "lose". It's like going into a contract negotiation saying you aren't ruling out accepting a really sh*tty rate.

Oh, but they aren't, as I said. They think they can have a comprehensive FTA that replicates "good" access to the SM, with a dispute resolution mechanism that is squarely focused on trade, and not on all the ancillary crap that comes with the ECJ. I seem to be repeating myself around here quite frequently. You can agree or disagree about whether May has a sensible position (have/eat cake etc.), but her position is rather clear IMO. Sometimes clarity hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Brexit is Brexit. OK?

Access is access.
                  Yeah, thanks, that's brilliant.

Breakfast is breakfast.

Comment

Oh, but they aren't, as I said. They think they can have a comprehensive FTA that replicates "good" access to the SM, with a dispute resolution mechanism that is squarely focused on trade, and not on all the ancillary crap that comes with the ECJ. I seem to be repeating myself around here quite frequently. You can agree or disagree about whether May has a sensible position (have/eat cake etc.), but her position is rather clear IMO. Sometimes clarity hurts.
                    A comprehensive FTA in 15 months, do you believe that ?

What do you think they'll do if it isn't all sorted out by then. Well there will be a game of chicken, and the UK is a lot smaller so guess who wins.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      oh lots do, without the tariffs & protectionism most of the EU will go bankrupt. Juncker, Tusk & Co will have to survive on a few million euros pension.
                      Good point, well made.

Comment

Working...
                      X