• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honesty/Integrity best policy with agents/clients? Umm nope

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    True enough. But I think to a certain extend in business you've got to take someone at their word and expect some integrity.

If we asked for everything in writing immediately it'd never work.
    I think you are talking utter bollocks now and it's getting tedious. I'd be happy to give backword to a verbal contact in a heartbeat. It's verbal, there is no official commitment. It's nice to be offered it but it means nothing. I'd be a tad annoyed if someone welched on a verbal offer yes but I wouldn't be crying like a bitch on a forum of my peers about it. I would use the verbal offer as flexibility and it's tenative at best. They've done exactly the same to you.

You've messed them about not giving a date so what are they supposed to do as Barry says. You are the catalyst to them messing you about, you've got to see that. You couldn't give confirmation you could start in a reasonable timeframe so it's open season.

As I said the standard advice is you have nothing with a verbal and making clients/agents wait come with a massive risk. This is exactly why. You are big advocate of if they can do then so can I. And now they have. Just you are on the bad end. Just man up and stop bitching about it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well I would say:-

1) Dont offer a gig unless you're sure you want that person. Have some integrity and honestly. If you have other people to see then fair enough but if you decide to jump in then stand by your word.

2) Have the balls to admit to the person you're letting down that you are indeed doing this so as to try and limit the damage you've caused. Don't be gutless and hide (As they are doing).

As for renewal, dunno yet. They may now not even offer it to me now. But outside of this there are other issues to sort:-

1) Public sector changes. I'm going to have so see how things pan out here - if the consultancy Im contracted to can't promise they WON'T be applying the public sector rules to any of my money then its not worth staying.

2) Personal situation. I wasn't lying about that. Changes almost daily. I'd hope to see out this current gig if I can but reality is I may be forced to take some bench time anyway.

Go on then. What would you do?
      On the flips side of the coin....

Don't accept a start immediately gig if you cannot start immediately.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I think you are talking utter bollocks now and it's getting tedious. I'd be happy to give backword to a verbal contact in a heartbeat. It's verbal, there is no official commitment. It's nice to be offered it but it means nothing. I'd be a tad annoyed if someone welched on a verbal offer yes but I wouldn't be crying like a bitch on a forum of my peers about it. I would use the verbal offer as flexibility and it's tenative at best. They've done exactly the same to you.

You've messed them about not giving a date so what are they supposed to do as Barry says. You are the catalyst to them messing you about, you've got to see that. You couldn't give confirmation you could start in a reasonable timeframe so it's open season.

As I said the standard advice is you have nothing with a verbal and making clients/agents wait come with a massive risk. This is exactly why. You are big advocate of if they can do then so can I. And now they have. Just you are on the bad end. Just man up and stop bitching about it.
        This, was offered something twice last year, verbally, for a direct contract.

Nothing seemed to move, so I went direct with someone else.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Well I would say:-

1) Dont offer a gig unless you're sure you want that person. Have some integrity and honestly. If you have other people to see then fair enough but if you decide to jump in then stand by your word.
          Don't accept it unless you know you can start.

2) Have the balls to admit to the person you're letting down that you are indeed doing this so as to try and limit the damage you've caused. Don't be gutless and hide (As they are doing).
          PC PC PC.. You should know agents by now. You hate them enough so surely you have half an idea what they are capable off. They'd sell their grandmothers false teeth if they could. That's what they do. You call them all the names under the sun and when they do what you call them for you are calling them gutless

As for renewal, dunno yet. They may now not even offer it to me now. But outside of this there are other issues to sort:-

1) Public sector changes. I'm going to have so see how things pan out here - if the consultancy Im contracted to can't promise they WON'T be applying the public sector rules to any of my money then its not worth staying.

2) Personal situation. I wasn't lying about that. Changes almost daily. I'd hope to see out this current gig if I can but reality is I may be forced to take some bench time anyway.

Go on then. What would you do?
          Me? Well it appears that you are indispensable to them. If they can't let you go in a reasonable time frame then you must hold some position power. I'd stuff a notice period in to the renewal and then tell them unless they accept you are done. If they don't want to let you go this time they won't be so keen on letting you go over a notice period either so you hold the reigns.

That would of course need strong decision making skills and some very tough negotiation skills.... so.. well..

Comment

Sorry to hear it's gone t*ts up. Maybe next time don't tell current your end date until you've got a signed contract with a start date from the new one.

Good luck

Comment

NLUK. Agreed - some clients will just say no to notice period. This time I just though so what Im not bothered about the notice period. Next time I will factor this in to any decison.

OK. Pulling a sickie maybe not. Would I be totally honest and upfront (As I've been this time) and expect the client to cut me some slack? Umm no I'd be careful how I did it next time.
              Before I sign a contract I want the notice period in it.
              If the client doesn’t give NP but if it’s a very good rate I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Before I sign a contract I want the notice period in it.
                If the client doesn’t give NP but if it’s a very good rate I wouldn't bother.
                If it's a three month contract for an extra £200pd, I'd sign it. It's in my limited company's best interests.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  If it's a three month contract for an extra £200pd, I'd sign it. It's in my limited company's best interests.
                  Absolutely this. I still can't help but think there were outs in PC's situation and we've always said the best way out of a contract is negotiation. If the contract was right then no notice wouldn't bother me. In a split decision it might factor. I've not needed notice in 9 years so I wouldn't be turning down good work because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Absolutely this. I still can't help but think there were outs in PC's situation and we've always said the best way out of a contract is negotiation. If the contract was right then no notice wouldn't bother me. In a split decision it might factor. I've not needed notice in 9 years so I wouldn't be turning down good work because of it.
                    I tend not to start looking until I know I've got a definite finish date. Someone telling me the market's good when I'm two months into a six month stint means nothing to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      I tend not to start looking until I know I've got a definite finish date. Someone telling me the market's good when I'm two months into a six month stint means nothing to me.
                      I'm the same. I have jumped ship mid contract but it's not something I do lightly. I will (~97% of the time) see out the term I've agreed to.

Comment

Working...
                      X