• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jamie Oliver hit by Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Is this another one of the positive spin stories from the Brexit camp?

Next it will be Jeremy Kyle/Vine show cancelled due to Brexit and Michael McIntyre has voice box removed due to Brexit.
    Now if they had put those in the Brexit manifesto I might have voted differently!
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It's simple business if a restaurant is not making money you should shut it. He shouldn't blame a media based term on the failing of one or more of his businesses.

Comment

Once visited the Jamie restaurant in Gatwick airport. Sat and ordered food and drinks and was told 30 mins later that the cooker had died and no food can be served. Didnt have to pay for drinks but had to catch a flight without eating which was a pain.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
          Once visited the Jamie restaurant in Gatwick airport. Sat and ordered food and drinks and was told 30 mins later that the cooker had died and no food can be served. Didnt have to pay for drinks but had to catch a flight without eating which was a pain.
          Why didn't you eat on the plane?

Or where you Air India?...

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            Why didn't you eat on the plane?

Or where you Air India?...

It was a one hour Ryanair flight FLC.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              It was a one hour Ryanair flight FLC.
              I'd have had their bacon baguette.

About the only good thing about RyanAir.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                https://www.theguardian.com/business...alian-barbecoa

Jamie Oliver closes six restaurants due to "Brexit" pressures including one in Aberdeen. Shocking Economic consequences.

Although
                -the other 42 resturants seem to be doing ok
                -In 2015, Oliver closed the last of his delicatessens, Recipease, and in 2014 closed three of four of his Union Jack restaurants.

This Brexit thing has really started to hit hard or maybe just the excuse every company rolls out wanting to make cost savings??!
                I've been to the one in Kingston several times, and it's way better than the other Italian chains out there (Ask, Prezzo, Zizzi etc). Even saw The Edge (U2 guitarist) in there once. I'm rather surprised to hear his restaurant in Richmond was due to close, mainly because we go there all the time and I never knew it was even there. Sticking it down a side street was probably a mistake.
                I wouldn't knock JO for his success, watching the Essex wideboy make it look so easy all those years ago gave me the confidence to start cooking to the extent that I now do 100% of the cooking in our house. My missus is useless, so one of us had to learn, and I really enjoy it. Best of luck to him.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Visited JOI in Glasgow last month, I was impressed with both the food and the service. Not the usual Italian experience and I will be going back.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Visited JOI in Glasgow last month,..
                    Just googled JOI as I wasn't sure what you were referring to. Bad move.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

FWIW, I think Jamie Oliver, the person, is to be admired. I think he may be trying to do too much at once, but at least he's trying, and he's trying to do some good along the way. His decent eating campaigns, and (I think) the 15 chain that helps young people get a start in their careers is an excellent idea.

Credit where it's due.

Comment

Working...
                      X