• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas won't be Christmas without...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    No Grinch on either apparently...
    Sky Cinema 18:10 Xmas day.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Sky Cinema 18:10 Xmas day.
      Ah cool - they must have meant terrestrial telly

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Ah cool - they must have meant terrestrial telly
        Try this one:
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Apologies for being an impertinent newbie and jumping in with both feet but I just have to comment on this thread (I do have a more pressing legal question to post but, hey, it's Christmas)

Christmas Eve, in our household, is just as big an affair as Christmas Day.

don't know why we don't make a bigger thing of it here. Whenever I've been on the continent over Christmas it's always been noticeable how big a deal the 24 December is over there.

I once remember being woken up in Innsbruck around midnight by a series of almighty explosions which saw me running around the bedroom proclaiming histrionically

"Oh My God! They've blown up the bridge!"

It turned out to be a firework display to coincide with the end of midnight mass at the City's cathedral.

My Christmas Eve normally unfolds as follows:

We love a good ghost story at Christmas ( the Alistair Sim version of Scrooge and the Canterville Ghost being two of my favourites) so normally we will watch one of these with a few glasses of sloe gin.

Then a Christmas Eve supper consisting of a family size Saxby pork pie accompanied by a range of pickles most important of which being pickled walnuts.

Then, with a warm glow inside, it's down the hill to St Peters in the Marsh for midnight mass (which is at 10:30 allowing us to watch Carols from kings at the proper time when we get back home).

I really can't wait!

Now to post that boring legal thread....

Comment

Christmas isn't Christmas without me proclaiming (as often as I can get away with) how much I dislike the way a pagan-cum-Christian festival, that has no relation to the actual date the mythical Jesus fella was allegedly born, is less about good will to all men (or celebrate the fact you survived winter) and instead is all about the expected consumerism, alongside the assumption that you have to be with family for the entire duration (because you're only there for the presents, you can't stand the sight of them normally).

Pah!
            Last edited by ladymuck; 16 December 2016, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Christmas isn't Christmas without me proclaiming (as often as I can get away with) how much I dislike the way a pagan-cum-Christian festival, that has no relation to the actual date the mythical Jesus fella was allegedly born

Comment

It's on BBC1 now, or catch up on BBC iPlayer.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                ... Cool Runnings on the telly.

Can't see it in the listings

Comment

Is it just me that thinks of three little robots watering plants on a space station whenever I see a reference to Cool Runnings

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                    Watching with a mince pie, and writing my cards

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Is it just me that thinks of three little robots watering plants on a space station whenever I see a reference to Cool Runnings
                      Yes and No...

that was silent running I think?

Comment

Working...
                      X