• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]US election stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed because he knows exactly what we should do obviously.

Or maybe he will disappear in the purge.....

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

It would be great if we had a truly proportional system..
      It's called AV. However the Tories would see us in civil war before conceding such progress.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        It's called AV. However the Tories would see us in civil war before conceding such progress.
        So they didn't hold this referendum on it in 2011?

Note, if you believe the Wiki (citation needed) the referendum appears to be non-consultative. Did this set a precedent? I'm sure there are some on here that claim all UK referendums are consultative only.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          So they didn't hold this referendum on it in 2011?

Note, if you believe the Wiki (citation needed) the referendum appears to be non-consultative. Did this set a precedent? I'm sure there are some on here that claim all UK referendums are consultative only.
          A referendum is however it is legislated in an act of parliament.

The EU referendum was advisory and therefore can be ignored. If it is, then you have to live with it.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            A referendum is however it is legislated in an act of parliament.

The EU referendum was advisory and therefore can be ignored. If it is, then you have to live with it.

Only because the judges said so on 3rd November. And they had no COI.

The AV referendum was definitely legally binding.

Comment

1. Climate change. This abstract entity that can be neither proven nor disproven to be the fault of humans has been exploited as a means to control people's behaviour and extort money.
              Sorry, but that is complete and utter bollux. Disproving AGW, if there were a flaw in the theory, would be trivial, but has yet to occur. Just seven years ago Trump signed a letter backing Obama's stance on climate change, supporting emissions cuts and asserting that it is 'scientifically irrefutable that failure to act will bring catastrophic and irreversible consequences for the planet and humanity.'

Presumably he was at that point a member of the liberal elite, exploiting AGW as a means of controlling people and extorting money? What has changed? Nothing, the only constant is that Trump is a cynical, lying opportunist who will shift any position and say anything that he thinks will get him elected.

The 2009 Trump position was in line with that of every scientific academy and organisation of standing in the world; nothing scientific is ever 100% settled, however the basis for the conclusion that we are warming the planet is based on science established long before Trump first twisted and turned like a twisty turny thing and has been confirmed over and over again.
              Last edited by pjclarke; 13 November 2016, 22:27.
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                Sorry, but that is complete and utter bollux. Disproving AGW, if there were a flaw in the theory, would be trivial, but has yet to occur. Just seven years ago Trump signed a letter backing Obama's stance on climate change, supporting emissions cuts and asserting that it is 'scientifically irrefutable that failure to act will bring catastrophic and irreversible consequences for the planet and humanity.'

Presumably he was at that point a member of the liberal elite, exploiting AGW as a means of controlling people and extorting money? What has changed? Nothing, the only constant is that Trump is a cynical, lying opportunist who will shift any position and say anything that he thinks will get him elected.

The 2009 Trump position was in line with that of every scientific academy and organisation of standing in the world; nothing scientific is ever 100% settled, however the basis for the conclusion that we are warming the planet is based on science established long before Trump first twisted and turned like a twisty turny thing and has been confirmed over and over again.
                Trump is actually pretty irrelevant in what he says or does. The point is that people are tired of your and your ilk's obsession with climate change - all its scaremongering, the racket to feed funds into the science lobby and the pointless wind farms. More importantly it is the self righteous sanctimony of your policy to demonise those that challenge you as "deniers" that people are rebelling at. Trump is everything you say he is I am sure but he is seen as anti liberal and anti establishment. That is enough.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

he is seen as anti liberal and anti establishment. That is enough.
                  Apparently, and tragically, you appear to be correct. I hope he turns out to be everything you wished for.The key phrase here is 'seen as'. A glance at his record shows that his 'anti-establishment' credentials are as fluid as his attitude to AGW. You are condoning a candidate simply because of the political position he projects (it is not real), apparently turning a blind eye to his venality, neanderthal misogyny, blatent dishonesty and opportunism. On the basis that 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend', what actually he says or does you admit, is irrelevant.

We're never going to agree on politics, but surely you can see that this debasement is an unhealthy development, whether you favour Marx, the tea party or something in between?

As I said, I hope Trump delivers everything you wish for, and is not impeached in favour of the more 'establishment' Pence around about 2018....
                  Last edited by pjclarke; 13 November 2016, 23:23.
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    the racket to feed funds into the science lobby.
                    are you saying that science should be ignored in the pursuit of short term financial gain for the privileged few?

Do you want people to be derided for daring to be intelligent or for thinking?

What a ridiculous world view that is!
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                      Apparently, and tragically, you appear to be correct. I hope he turns out to be everything you wished for.
                      Well, there wasn't that much of a choice really.

Comment

Working...
                      X