• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who will be the next US President?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    I think Nate may have got his Bayesian priors a bit off. We'll see.

I make a profit if Hillary wins, a slightly smaller one if Trump triumphs. Which will be a small comfort as we kiss goodbye to a functioning ecosphere...
    Except we won't really see. Nate Silver's view is that there is a lot of uncertainty so he give a wide range of results. He also shows a higher probability of a HRC landslide than other models.

Comment

Fair point.

Actually, in the event of a Trump landslide, there'll be money to be made buying cheap US shares and funds on the inevitable slump and equally inevitable rebound.
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Fair point.

Actually, in the event of a Trump landslide, there'll be money to be made buying cheap US shares and funds on the inevitable slump and equally inevitable rebound.
        If you look at the fivethirtyeight figures of:

Hillary Clinton
        71.9%
        Donald Trump
        28.0%

You can see that there is a tiny gap between their combined vote and 100%. That gap is the 13.2% probability of McMullin winning Utah and no candidate reaching 270 and the House breaking the deadlock in favour of McMullin (and also a 0.3% chance of Johnson winning an electoral college vote etc.).

Comment

Yes, I heard that. McMullin between 800-1000 at Betfair.

Clinton by a modest margin. But I won't be staying up.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Current oddschecker:

Clinton 2/9
            Trump 9/2
            Sanders, Biden, Ryan, Kaine 250/1
            Kasich, Pence 500/1
            Johnson 2500/1
            Stein 5000/1

Comment

Any one watch Rich Hall's Presidential Grudge Match last night?

Really interesting on the whole process and history
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If Trump wins, will they update the Doomsday Clock?

Comment

I think Nate may have got his Bayesian priors a bit off. We'll see.
                  This election is largely about turnout and the assumptions made about the split among undeclared/undecided voters, which is unusually high. For me, Nate's probabilities pass the smell test more than others, but they aren't testable, of course. Actually, there are several factors in this election that make it exceptionally difficult to model.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    This election is largely about turnout and the assumptions made about the split among undeclared/undecided voters, which is unusually high. For me, Nate's probabilities pass the smell test more than others, but they aren't testable, of course. Actually, there are several factors in this election that make it exceptionally difficult to model.
                    Yes, it seems a pragmatic approach.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                      Current oddschecker:

Clinton 2/9
                      Trump 9/2
                      Sanders, Biden, Ryan, Kaine 250/1
                      Kasich, Pence 500/1
                      Johnson 2500/1
                      Stein 5000/1
                      I've had a tenner on Trump; seems exceptional value at that price. I don't necessarily think he'll win but anything longer than 7/2 is worth a punt.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X