• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virtue signalling foul mouthed songstress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another opinion - It nails the hypocrisy against her to the wall.

"If somebody can explain to me why anyone has the right to censor Lily Allen's voice, whilst at the same time, demonstrate to me how it is different to the kind of censorship ISIS seek to impose, I shall kneel before them. I await with baited breath."
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So nobody here cares about this issue then? We're all relatively rich here so the same argument can be levelled at anyone here who says ANY such issue causes them upset but doesn't use their personal wealth to help. Which is clearly stupid... I'm sure many here give to charities but just like Lily, presumably do so out of their excess and 'spending money' not to an extent it affects their lives.

Maybe it's just a mechanism people use to justify their own lack of compassion and to dehumanise those suffering so they can sleep at night... X is far richer than me, clearly they don't REALLY care.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        With a few exceptions, like Vanessa Redgrave, these liberal lefty celebrities are mostly hypocrites.

Even if they did take in any refugees you can bet they'd be well vetted. Unlike those housed among ordinary people.
        What makes Vanessa Redgrave an exception?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          So nobody here cares about this issue then? We're all relatively rich here so the same argument can be levelled at anyone here who says ANY such issue causes them upset but doesn't use their personal wealth to help. Which is clearly stupid... I'm sure many here give to charities but just like Lily, presumably do so out of their excess and 'spending money' not to an extent it affects their lives.

Maybe it's just a mechanism people use to justify their own lack of compassion and to dehumanise those suffering so they can sleep at night... X is far richer than me, clearly they don't REALLY care.

She claimed to apologise on behalf of this country. Therefore, she was apologising on my behalf and I have nothing to apologise for.

If you want to blame anyone for this, blame the traffickers, the French authorities, and any country they travelled through to get to France. Blame the Taliban, Assad, ISIS, the Russians. Blame corrupt African governments and war-lords. They are the cause of this problem.

Comment

Why should celebrities be less hypocritical than regular folk anyway? "Someone should do something about that" is the mantra most of us repeat after all. Apart from DA who proudly boasts about how he doesn't give a toss, and considers Donald Trump a role model "if you can get away with it, you absolutely should because that makes you a genious"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              She claimed to apologise on behalf of this country. Therefore, she was apologising on my behalf and I have nothing to apologise for.
              What?

If you want to blame anyone for this, blame the traffickers, the French authorities, and any country they travelled through to get to France. Blame the Taliban, Assad, ISIS, the Russians. Blame corrupt African governments and war-lords. They are the cause of this problem.
              So what? Why does it matter whose fault it is they are there, the fact is they are.
              If someone is hit by a car outside your front door and crawls up to you for help, do you tell them "well it wasn't me that hit you". No it is not our fault and we're not to blame for the situation... but that means we don't need to give a tulip?

Again this just seems a way for us to assuage any bad feelings we might have... wash our hands of them because we're not to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                But not the British voter who put a government in power to legislate war with little or no gain causing untold human causalities?

Sounds cowardly to me. And certainly not in keeping with true British values.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The British government is funded by the British people who it is supposed to represent. "We" the British pay taxes and we probably prefer to pay for things that matter to us most like education health and security. It is a finite sum of money much of which is donated by people with little of it. Lily Allen decides to speak on our behalf when she has no mandate to do so. She does this because she feels she should be helping these people but not through her own pocket. Instead the rest of us should be made to feel guilty to make her look virtuous as if she is "doing something about it".
                  Most people who fund the treasury do not have time or cannot afford to even indulge in travelling to Calais let alone dig deeper into their pockets.
                  If on the other hand she just said "I am very rich and I feel sorry for you and I want o help by giving you money" and then donating a £million or two without the sanctimony of berating other people then she would not be a hypocrite.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    But not the British voter who put a government in power to legislate war with little or no gain causing untold human causalities?

Sounds cowardly to me. And certainly not in keeping with true British values.
                    You really are incredibly stupid

Comment

What?

So what? Why does it matter whose fault it is they are there, the fact is they are.
                      If someone is hit by a car outside your front door and crawls up to you for help, do you tell them "well it wasn't me that hit you". No it is not our fault and we're not to blame for the situation... but that means we don't need to give a tulip?

Again this just seems a way for us to assuage any bad feelings we might have... wash our hands of them because we're not to blame.
                      It's not about washing our hands of them, they're in The Jungle in Calais by choice. Or do you think that France is not a country fit to apply for asylum in?

Comment

Working...
                      X