• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

€1.11/£ - Flash crash my lower rear anatomy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deja vu

deja vu

UK Devaluation of Sterling 1967 | Economics Help
    In 1967, the UK government of Harold Wilson devalued the Pound from $2.80 to $2.40 (a devaluation of 14%).

After the devaluation, there was no economic miracle, growth remained below our competitors, inflation rose and it did not solve the underlying issues in the UK economy.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      ...Do these poor computers have to read the Daily Mail as well?
      Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      It's difficult for them when 99% of the stuff they have to plough through is moaning.
      Why would that be? Isn't the DM solidly Brexit?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Why would that be? Isn't the DM solidly Brexit?
        Other papers are available.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Other papers are available.
          My word. Sofa king...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Labour govt. Unions. Strikes. Negative productivity.

In a radio and television broadcast this evening, the Prime Minister said devaluation would enable Britain to " break out from the straitjacket" of boom and bust economics.
            Gordon Brown school of leftist economics. Therefore totally ****ed.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Labour govt. Unions. Strikes. Negative productivity.

Gordon Brown school of leftist economics. Therefore totally ****ed.

A lower pound will not necessarily help all exports, the way of manufacturing and business have changed. For example the UK will not be capable of producing a car from start to finish without importing. Companies like Easyjet are already suffering due to the drop in the pound

https://www.ft.com/content/18048862-...a-149ce6d9a982
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Exchange at city airport was offering 1 euro to £1 note last night !!

Trips have suddenly become more expensive

Comment

Wait until they're charing £1.20 to the €
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Four ways the UK can take advantage of a weaker pound

The trouble is, past devaluations of sterling have not always led to greater competitiveness.

In the 1960s, they were a cover for higher government spending.

In the 1970s, they were an excuse for an inflationary wage-price spiral that left nobody better off. This time, we should make sure a cheaper pound strengthens our economy.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Wish I'd paid for my holiday and loaded my € debit card when I booked now!

Also wish we'd pulled the trigger on buying a Scandinavian log cabin (€140k or so) when we were considering it
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X