• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Retire" early...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    If we are to believe the shyte that you post on here, your whole life has been one long crisis.

I believe disaster is a more descriptive term

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      If we are to believe the shyte that you post on here, your whole life has been one long crisis.
      More a series of client-induced crises, surely?

Well, self-induced, but obviously the client's fault.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I am in a similar situation, and moved into semi retirement 3 years ago as a permie
        9to5

6 weeks holidays

no weekends

company car

question these days is when to move fulltime into Plan B ? What benefit would that bring - total flexibility on working hours and holidays - will be there soon

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          At 41 and my plans for 'retirement' have been put off due to a contract extension. Previous posts I have responded to on this subject will have more details but generally I feel the same as you. 20 years of IT and mostly I have had enough. But I think a few months out will be good and possibly provide a much needed boost to get us back into working mode. I am planning to either leave IT altogether or try my hand at an interesting (relatively senior) permie job; the best bit will be that I don't have to give a damn about the money and can therefore relax into or out of the career.

My 'retirement' plan is fairly well formed now and the funding is there to provide decent income. Nothing magical, but part of my semi-retirement plan is to work on bigger and better things at a leisurely pace, and these will provide much more income if it goes as I would like.

And really, it's not 'retirement'... it's just having the option to not work or to be able to choose your work or to be able to tell that one awful client that you won't be coming back tomorrow.

Kids are increasingly expensive as time goes on, so make sure your funds/investments allow for that!

And remember: it's very difficult to adjust when you retire from something with nothing to do or no plan forward. So make you ultimately have something to retire to.
          In other words you are going to amble off and wait to die?
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            In other words you are going to amble off and wait to die?
            Don't you ever just look up at the stars, marvel at the eternal vastness of the Universe, and think, "what the f&&k is this all for anyway" ?

Comment

Don't you ever just look up at the stars, marvel at the eternal vastness of the Universe, and think, "what the f&&k is this all for anyway" ?
              No, but I once lay there, looking up at the vast emptiness of space, pondering the limitlessness of the cosmos, gazing at the stars and thought, "I need to get that bloody roof fixed."
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

That's when I know, for sure, I have taken too many drops of Acid

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Of course. I also believe that the human race will advance to the point of being able to travel to the stars. I am already setting up PSL supplier arrangements with intergalactical clients and shipping in cheap Martians too.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                    I am also having a mid-life crisis. Hence the bright red wheelbarrow with sportscar wheels.
                    FTFY.

Comment

Part-time is a sensible option. Or, get a job doing something totally different but fun... selling lawnmowers, fixing bikes, whatever you find interesting, safe in the knowledge you don't need the job to survive. Or, do some hands on stuff on your own project just for fun, without necessarily even planning to market it, if your skills suit that?
                      Or push further into property if you find that interesting, make it your career?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X