• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leave role off CV...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Not for long hopefully.
    How mean
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Not for long hopefully.
      Get back to playing Cowboys and Indians with Bee

Comment

I'd be tempted to leave it off as long as you're confident that you're not going to be going anywhere that will require a rigorous check it could come up in any other way.

It's bad enough having to go through a toxic client without having to explain it away at the next interview. As you say the CV is your advertising brochure.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
          Gumbo - you're back
          Na....Its Scroaty / Buggeridge / Phil Rouge / Plantswoman

To name but a few

Unless Gumbo was part of that stable?
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

To name but a few

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...workplace.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2243580
            Last edited by oracleslave; 14 September 2016, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Chutley View Post
              I've done just over two years as a contractor, now on 4th contract. First two were 6 months each, 3rd was a year and am 2 months into my 4th contract. And I've been fired.

I'm the 4th Programme Manager in 5 months (!!), in a chaotic, toxic organisation that did not share that when I was hired. Not bothered about leaving at all, as it was just awful, but my question for the more experienced contractors out there....

.... should I include on CV and tell the story if I get to interview?
              .....or remove from CV and claim a longer Summer holiday ( I intentionally had 3 months off before this contract started).

(I am not in financial services and have no need to account for my time off contract. In future, I intend to work around 6-8 months each year with long period of holiday for travelling.)

Any wise advice appreciated.
              Whatever anyone else has said, you can include the contract stating the time you were there, just don't mention you left early - the new client has no way of checking the "intended" length of your contract. You could just say you were filling in while someone was away, or replacing someone else who got fired shortly before the end of a project. Be imaginative, but plausible, and you'll be fine.
              Years ago, I worked on a large project and a couple of the contractors got themselves in a little legal bother, and ended up as guests of Her Majesty for a couple of years. Some years later I looked one of them up on Jobserve (I had access to an agency's login - it's a long story) and he had explained the gap as time spent renovating his holiday place in France. It seemed to have worked, he had plenty of contracts since, although none in finance or government, strangely...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Eyes sharper than mine, well played, sir!

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Contractors don't get fired.
                  Knew this was coming

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
                    If you get caught lying to a client (or potential client) then you will lose any credibility that you have - you only have to get someone at a new site who knows you to let it slip and there will be questions (rightly) asked.

Personally, I'd include it - you just need to be able to explain what happened and why you left. Put some decent spin on it and you'll be fine.

Absolutely this.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

To name but a few

Nah Gumbo isn't part of that stable.

Places he mentions are different.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X