• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK business is too lazy and fat says Liam Fox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    linky?
    He needs a hinge more than a link.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      The quicker you feck orf, the better off you will be. How's your golden ticket to Portugal going?
      Waiting for Brexit to happen so I can buy on the Golden Visa scheme as a non EU national.
      Seems it might be a long wait though ...
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

linky?
        Sorry Threadeds machine broke down ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Don't believe everything you read in the paper. What he actually said was

https://soundcloud.com/spectator1828...uk-exports-gap

This country is not the free trading nation that it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations. And when I look at a country built on free trade, as an outward-looking, forward-looking nation, and I look today at the proportion of British businesses that export beyond our border – what is it? 80 per cent? 60 per cent? 11 per cent.
          What is the point of us reshaping global trade, what is the point of us going out and looking for new markets for the United Kingdom, if we don’t have the exporters to fill those markets? We’ve got to change the culture in our country. People have got to stop thinking about exporting as an opportunity and start thinking about it as a duty. Companies who could be contributing to our national prosperity but choose not to because it might be too difficult or too time-consuming or because they can’t play golf on a Friday afternoon. We’ve got to be saying to them: if you want to share in the prosperity of our country, you have a duty to contribute to the prosperity of our country.”
          “We’ve made a fundamental shift in British policy. Up until the change of government, the policy was to get as much foreign direct investment into the United Kingdom as possible, but to largely ignore overseas direct investment elsewhere. And that’s a problem because it’s great the year we get the foreign investment and we get jobs created, but every year after that all their income flows that go to their parent companies or their parent countries are outward flows in our current account. Unless we have counterbalancing overseas development, overseas investment, we are unable to get those income flows to counterbalance that.

I'm not sure there is anything in there is that contentious.

Comment

Originally posted by davetza View Post
            Don't believe everything you read in the paper. What he actually said was

https://soundcloud.com/spectator1828...uk-exports-gap

This country is not the free trading nation that it once was. We have become too lazy, and too fat on our successes in previous generations. And when I look at a country built on free trade, as an outward-looking, forward-looking nation, and I look today at the proportion of British businesses that export beyond our border – what is it? 80 per cent? 60 per cent? 11 per cent.
            What is the point of us reshaping global trade, what is the point of us going out and looking for new markets for the United Kingdom, if we don’t have the exporters to fill those markets? We’ve got to change the culture in our country. People have got to stop thinking about exporting as an opportunity and start thinking about it as a duty. Companies who could be contributing to our national prosperity but choose not to because it might be too difficult or too time-consuming or because they can’t play golf on a Friday afternoon. We’ve got to be saying to them: if you want to share in the prosperity of our country, you have a duty to contribute to the prosperity of our country.”
            “We’ve made a fundamental shift in British policy. Up until the change of government, the policy was to get as much foreign direct investment into the United Kingdom as possible, but to largely ignore overseas direct investment elsewhere. And that’s a problem because it’s great the year we get the foreign investment and we get jobs created, but every year after that all their income flows that go to their parent companies or their parent countries are outward flows in our current account. Unless we have counterbalancing overseas development, overseas investment, we are unable to get those income flows to counterbalance that.

I'm not sure there is anything in there is that contentious.
            It's all bollux. Especially coming from a proven corrupt, expenses fiddling politician who wouldn't know what business is if it bit him on the bum.
            What is the total pish about exporting being a fooking "duty"? Are we becoming Soviet? Business is there to make money, the fact that the UK is a services oriented economy with little to sell abroad is entirely due to Tory policy in the 80s.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              It's all bollux. Especially coming from a proven corrupt, expenses fiddling politician who wouldn't know what business is if it bit him on the bum.
              What is the total pish about exporting being a fooking "duty"? Are we becoming Soviet? Business is there to make money, the fact that the UK is a services oriented economy with little to sell abroad is entirely due to Tory policy in the 80s.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Yeah you lazy golf playing businessman.
                  Why don't you export more?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

This about sums up it up:

Liam Fox confirms that Britain now has a nationalist government | Coffee House

What a repellent piece of work is that nonentity Liam Fox.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

This is what I couldn't get about the argument. Golf is supposedly a very good networking opportunity - and networking = sales.

And the purpose of my business is to make money for me. If and when I have enough money or get fed up I walk away and do something else instead...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X