• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any drawback to Dual Nationality?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    The dual nationality is an EU law which means that if and when Brexit does occur you have decide which nationality you want to keep and drop the other one.
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Incorrectamundo.
    Kind of but not quite. I know that in Germany, if the UK leaves the EU then then any UK persons with dual nationality then have to choose as the UK would no longer be included in the EU but there might be new laws introduced, similar to those that they have for other countries not in the EU, to allow for this. Whether the UK would allow the person to keep their UK citizenship is another matter...
    That is German law, not EU law.

Comment

That is German law, not EU law.
      Yes, but according to the Brexit camp the EU makes the laws
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yes, but according to the Brexit camp the EU makes the laws
        Like when the Irish make their own tax rules and the EU Commission goes above them and fines companies even though the Irish were happy with what they had received? That seems a pretty good example.

I hope to God you lot ALL get some other citizenship other than British and then you can all feck off to the EU and spend the rest of your lives wishing you could come back.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Like when the Irish make their own tax rules and the EU Commission goes above them and fines companies even though the Irish were happy with what they had received? That seems a pretty good example.

I hope to God you lot ALL get some other citizenship other than British and then you can all feck off to the EU and spend the rest of your lives wishing you could come back.
          While we spend the rest of our lives rather hoping you won't...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The problem was not Irish tax rules - the problem was that Ireland made secret deals with big corp(s) to avoid paying even low Irish corp tax

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Something I'd like to know the answer to too.

Need to take my B1 German test first. I'm doomed.
              Ach so. Es ist nicht so schweirig.

Originally posted by stek View Post
              All EU citizenships apart form Ireland as far as I know require at least five years residency in that country. Seven for Germany, twelve for Switzerland tho technically not EU....
              Not just technically. And it's ten years for federal approval, with a number of years (which must be less than 10!) in one community (actual number depends on the community).

This is a thread for discussing dual nationality. Not for you to continue to vent your hatred of anyone who thinks differently from you. You've already got your very own Brexit thread. I suggest you keep your comments there.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                This is a thread for discussing dual nationality. Not for you to continue to vent your hatred of anyone who thinks differently from you. You've already got your very own Brexit thread. I suggest you keep your comments there.

Here Here be orf with you

Milan.

Comment

With dual citizenship someone could return whenever they liked. Perhaps you didn't realise.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Need to take my B1 German test first. I'm doomed.
                    Just tried the test here: German A1 to C2 - How long does it to reach reach level B1 or B2

Got 30/60 and said I was probably at level B1. Yaay! Now all I need to do is move there for 7 years.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

With dual citizenship someone could return whenever they liked. Perhaps you didn't realise.
                      It was the word "dual" that confused him. He thought it meant like Germans fighting with swords.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X