• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    I left uni having made a profit

FTFY

then full summers of night shifts at the docks, with Andy W's Mum, between the other years. Obviously no fees back in the early 90s but no grants either.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I think people often forget that the publicised £6K or even £9K a year isn't "all inclusive".

I owed about £2K by the time I left university and that seemed scary at the time and that was with the government paying me to go.

It seems to me a graduate tax would be a better solution, or at least a less bad solution. Pay a slightly higher rate of income tax for the rest of your life in exchange for free further education and a grant.
      That's exactly what it is, if you don't earn you don't pay - and you pay 9% of your earnings over 21k (now) - lots will never pay it off in their working life (and that's accounted for) - I read somewhere they only expect about 60p of every £1 loaned to get repaid

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
        That's exactly what it is, if you don't earn you don't pay - and you pay 9% of your earnings over 21k (now) - lots will never pay it off in their working life (and that's accounted for) - I read somewhere they only expect about 60p of every £1 loaned to get repaid
        Yes I know it amounts to the same thing, but calling it a debt is an overwhelmingly negative thing as you see from the reactions to people being £50K "in debt" by the time they're 21. Even if you never repay you still have that debt hanging over you.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Yes I know it amounts to the same thing, but calling it a debt is an overwhelmingly negative thing as you see from the reactions to people being £50K "in debt" by the time they're 21. Even if you never repay you still have that debt hanging over you.
          When you are 50 the debt is written off. So that is okay then.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            When you are 50 the debt is written off. So that is okay then.
            Can't wait to see how GB plc accounts for the first expirations in a couple of decades.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Was one of the lucky ones. Despite attending university twice (yes Monday and Tuesday) I never had to use a student loan. But then I remember in the summer I spent 3 months cutting grass for the council which I'd calculated up to my general allowance before tax and would use for accommodation during the semester whilst living with mother and how skint they were.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Anyone who bought in 1989 only had to wait until 1998 to have made their money back and 2003 to have doubled.

In London prices never went down.....
                Prices did go down in London.

And if you have a growing family being stuck in a studio or one bed flat is hardly ideal.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Prices did go down in London.

And if you have a growing family being stuck in a studio or one bed flat is hardly ideal.
                  Surely no worse than paying X hundreds of thousands of pounds for a flat?

Comment

I left uni having made a profit by working a Saturday job in the first year then full summers of night shifts between the other years. Obviously no fees back in the early 90s but no grants either.
                    There were grants in the early 90s - if you didn't get one your parents were too rich, weren't divorced or self-employed.

BTW I know some of you only have siblings within a decade of your age and/or only hang out with people your own age - I don't.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      There were grants in the early 90s - if you didn't get one your parents were too rich, weren't divorced or self-employed.

BTW I know some of you only have siblings within a decade of your age and/or only hang out with people your own age - I don't.
                      I'm not American - I don't hang out. HTHBIDI
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X