• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I don’t know exactly how much I owe in student loans but based on what other people owe I think it is probably around £40,000. I’m not worried about it yet."

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Yep, I read this article this morning and couldn't believe the amount of debt a graduate starts their employment with: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...th-it-students
      I started work with £600 of debt. Spent on beer. I thought it was a lot of money. Inflation helped out enormously.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Yep, I read this article this morning and couldn't believe the amount of debt a graduate starts their employment with: https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...th-it-students
        I think people often forget that the publicised £6K or even £9K a year isn't "all inclusive".

I owed about £2K by the time I left university and that seemed scary at the time and that was with the government paying me to go.

It seems to me a graduate tax would be a better solution, or at least a less bad solution. Pay a slightly higher rate of income tax for the rest of your life in exchange for free further education and a grant.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          This can only be achieved by increasing tax, or by reducing drastically the number of places. Or just make certain courses free (perhaps just Physics, Maths, Chemistry, English and History); the rest can subsidise those.
          Reduce places, like I said, if you'd read the rest of the post before hitting the quote button

Science degrees are a big must - but so are other essential tech disciplines including computing degrees. All I remember is that there was too much focus on the academic side of the subjects without much in the way of work-based examples. Uni in no way prepared you for the office workplace, but I suppose they want to keep people in academia forever.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            "I don’t know exactly how much I owe in student loans but based on what other people owe I think it is probably around £40,000. I’m not worried about it yet."

I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I started work with £600 of debt. Spent on beer. I thought it was a lot of money. Inflation helped out enormously.
            I left uni having made a profit by working a Saturday job in the first year then full summers of night shifts between the other years. Obviously no fees back in the early 90s but no grants either.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              This can only be achieved by increasing tax, or by reducing drastically the number of places. Or just make certain courses free (perhaps just Physics, Maths, Chemistry, English and History); the rest can subsidise those.
              A bit UKIP isn't?

UKIP would make STEM tuition-fee free, and revise net migration count - TES

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Quite possibly, but each party has a small selection of ideas that appeal. No party has an overall package that I've seen as worth voting for. I've been impressed with PM May since he left Top Gear; doing a cracking job at No 10.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually.

I left uni having made a profit by working a Saturday job in the first year then full summers of night shifts between the other years. Obviously no fees back in the early 90s but no grants either.
                  Same here of sorts. I did the first year of engineering away and then swapped degrees so I could live at home and not get into debt. Also worked in a factory 3-4 nights a week to ensure I had something to live on other than toenails. Saved up for the Masters too and then managed to get an award to do it so felt rather well off (for a student) for a year. If I were going now £9K/year would put in very sharp focus whether I should go at all, and if so, what to study.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Quite possibly, but each party has a small selection of ideas that appeal. No party has an overall package that I've seen as worth voting for. I've been impressed with PM May since he left Top Gear; doing a cracking job at No 10.
                    It was rather tongue-in-cheek. I think it makes good very good sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      It was rather tongue-in-cheek. I think it makes good very good sense to me.
                      Fair enough; my comment still stands though about all parties having some good ideas.

Comment

Working...
                      X