• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
    They have that stuff at my local reclamation yard.

I was going to buy some but was made to feel like a war criminal as it is apparently quarried by 10 year old boys in loincloths.

Well that's globalisation for you. Now if only before buying it the reclamation yard had found their morals it would never occur. Hypocrites.

Personally if its reclaimed its hard to be morally tainted. It was almost certainly dug up by some bloke called Kevin who told the previous owner who now has a nice granite or slate patio he would take away the rubbish then resold it for half the new price.

reality is it shouldn't be a problem if the importers behave.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustaina...tone-rajasthan

Describing child labour as a “huge problem” in India’s sandstone industry, Unicef is calling on the sector to urgently formalise its practices and procedures, and offer meaningful guarantees against dangerous child labour.

The report lays out an ambitious set of recommendations, including stronger children protection measures from all levels of the government as well as a voluntary sustainability standard within the sandstone industry.

Chris Harrop, group marketing director at Marshalls, a UK importer of Indian sandstone and funder of the research, insists that action should be taken immediately.

Top of his list is to establish an agreed set of management steps that buyers can put in place if and when instances of child labour are found. He also says importers should establish a due diligence process to determine which quarries their sandstone is coming from and to ascertain the risk of child labour. “While we can do lots in our supply chain ... the quarries next door have incidences of child labour going on. We can see it every time we visit,” he says.

In reality, however, the influence of foreign buyers and their consumers is limited. The vast bulk of Indian sandstone is destined for the domestic market, with only about 5-7% exported, according to Harrop. Of this only about one-fifth ends up in the UK.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was going to buy some but was made to feel like a war criminal as it is apparently quarried by 10 year old boys in loincloths.
      Jimmy SAville would be very upset by that. He has better uses for them.

Comment

Yep, though the best way to deal with rats is just to make sure there's no source of food nearby.
        Even more so water. That's their main weakness - They have to drink every day, or they die.

A leaking drain pipe or something is an ideal all year round water supply for a rat.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I was struggling to fall asleep last night and was sure this would put me to sleep - https://youtu.be/RRN0uClnJBw - 45 minutes later I was seriously contemplating how to live off grid. The contract invoices bring in good £££, but there surely is a better life to be led out there.

Comment

Not a bit. If they weren't busy in the quarry, ask yourself how else might thay be forced to earn a living to avoid starving?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Decking makes sense for steep sloping garden/outside areas to create a level, useful area on an otherwise useless space. That's the only time it should replace lawn or stone patio in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The Guardian
                Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Not a bit. If they weren't busy in the quarry, ask yourself how else might thay be forced to earn a living to avoid starving?
                It was an offhand comment somebody made.

I didn't even know it was true!

The real reason I didn't buy any is because I didn't want it all to disintegrate into a thousand pieces after the first mild frost of the year

Comment

Composite decking solves the slippiness issue and can look pretty good in various shades. Low maintenance as well
                  I get up...

Comment

Not sure what 'type' goes for that though!
                    I get up...

Comment

What's wrong with child labour? Worked fine for me - never managed to carry off the loincloth look though. Gingham dresses were more my thing, before MF gets in there.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X