• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't live on £50k a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post

This is the biggest problem, with 2 kids, for most mothers it makes no financial sense to work.
    Exactly, earns 1 grand, spends 1 grand on child care.

They could live equally well on his salary and have a lot less stress if she managed the household.

They can cancel the gym membership, sky subscription and sell the second car.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

£1180 for utilities? What the hell are they doing, hydroponics?

We survived (Mrs LM, Miss LM and I) on my first salary of £14,500 at the back end of the 90s. Basic broadband, no Sky TV, 1 car. Mrs LM didn't work so we didn't need childcare. It was tough but you cut your cloth accordingly. It's very simple - don't try and keep up with the Joneses if Mr Jones is on 100k a year and you're on 50k a year.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yeah some of the figures seem a bit odd

1180 per month for bills for an end of terrace?
        250 per month for birthdays and Christmas?
        300 for a Mini Countryman AND a Kia Sportage?
        Gym membership? Go running instead or buy a bike
        Sky? FFS!

Yeah 50K is hard to live on, made much harder if you're a spoilt infantile adult.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post

Gym membership? Go running instead or buy a bike
          Gym membership sounds a bit extravagent, but meeting people in the gym is a good way to network, and that may be important for this woman.

Ditto young people with expensive iPhones and suchlike. Old fogeys can scoff, but it is important to look the part and stay in touch.

Anyone can live on peanuts if they sit at home all day every day like a pensioner, but that isn't the point, especially when you're young.

Sky? FFS!
          I'd love to know a cheaper alternative, seriously. I pay £90 a month for hundreds of channels which are mostly complete tosh! Freeview perhaps?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            I'd love to know a cheaper alternative, seriously. I pay £90 a month for hundreds of channels which are mostly complete tosh! Freeview perhaps?
            FreeView + Netflix/Amazon Prime - The only thing you miss is live sports

Comment

Gym membership sounds a bit extravagent, but meeting people in the gym is a good way to network, and that may be important for this woman.
              Bollux.

We have freeview, for some years we didn't have a telly.
              Why anyone would pay that scum Murdoch (or even Branson) for 100s of channels of complete crud is beyond me.
              Particularly if you claim to be short of money.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                FreeView + Netflix/Amazon Prime - The only thing you miss is live sports
                WHS. free view is all you need. Obviously I don't get to watch sports, but of course I'm always out doing Triathalons and Iron Man races with my mate Dallas, so don't have time anyway.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

WHS, plus emergency repair bills, such as when the boiler goes caput or the jam jar needs expensive new parts.

I mean my last Jag service was nearly £2K (four new tyres, four new brake disks, pads, plus a few other bits and bobs, not forgetting 20% VAT!

The Rangerover service (in progress) is looking even worse, autocooler blown, fuel injection leak, EGR valve fault, etc. God, I'm looking at anything up to £3K!
                  I'll admit time can be a factor, but some of this you can do yourself. I do most of the servicing on the cars myself - Merc, Land Rover and Jag - and most household things are fairly straight forward. The door lock packed up at Christmas. Used a bit of wood to keep it secure and managed to change the locking mechanism (I discovered it's called the gearbox) for £17 with a bit from eBay.

Same with the leaking ball valve in the cold water tank two weeks back. A new valve and ball was £11 from Screwfix. Okay, if you're on a good daily rate you might prefer to spend your free time and cash on other things, but once you've ar5sed about arranging for a tradesman to appear and waited while they fix it it'll probably be no slower.

Comment

Depends on who uses the gym membership. I know some families use it to take the kids swimming.

However if you need to save money that gym membership needs to go. You can either join a gym for £20 a month OR join a running club.

Ditto young people with expensive iPhones and suchlike. Old fogeys can scoff, but it is important to look the part and stay in touch.
                    Expensive iPhones etc are used instead of computers and landlines.

Anyone can live on peanuts if they sit at home all day every day like a pensioner, but that isn't the point, especially when you're young.

I use Freeview but have Amazon Prime and sometimes Sky Now.

Other people have Freeview, Amazon Prime and Netflix. It depends whether you prefer watching series or films.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      I'll admit time can be a factor, but some of this you can do yourself. I do most of the servicing on the cars myself - Merc, Land Rover and Jag - and most household things are fairly straight forward. The door lock packed up at Christmas. Used a bit of wood to keep it secure and managed to change the locking mechanism (I discovered it's called the gearbox) for £17 with a bit from eBay.

Same with the leaking ball valve in the cold water tank two weeks back. A new valve and ball was £11 from Screwfix. Okay, if you're on a good daily rate you might prefer to spend your free time and cash on other things, but once you've ar5sed about arranging for a tradesman to appear and waited while they fix it it'll probably be no slower.
                      Some people don't have the skills to do that or any DIY tasks.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X