• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gravel, gravel everywhere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Yes, horses came first. But then mankind decided to better himself and invent something superior, whereby horses were consigned to sporting & leisure purposes, and should therefore spend as little time on the roads as possible.
    You forgot food as well....
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Plantswoman View Post
      You have obviously never been acquainted with the joys of a good hack on an old nag when the sun is shining.

One of those life affirming experiences.
      Of course it is Malcolm Buggeridge, Phil Rouge, Gittins Girl, Martin Scroteman........etc etc
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        You forgot food as well....
        Only in France (and Tesco's).
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Of course it is Malcolm Buggeridge, Phil Rouge, Gittins Girl, Martin Scroteman........etc etc
          Oh don't spoil it, I was sort of getting to like her/him/it.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Only in France (and Tesco's).
            You forgot Iceland, Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Morrisons, Ikea and any company that supplied school dinners...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              I used to work on the roads.

The phrase is surface dressing.

And it is horrible stuff. Especially for cyclists.

Surface Dressing - CORMAC

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                You forgot Iceland, Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Morrisons, Ikea and any company that supplied school dinners...
                IKEA does food?

Personally, I don't buy meat from supermarkets. Only from a farm shop where I have a degree of confidence in the provenance.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Why can't they at least spray some liquid tar on the existing surface, to give some chance of holding the new gravel in place?

When they do country roads in Devon, they just seem to spray the gravel alone all over the place and hope for the best!

edit: Oh, I read the article mudskipper referenced. So in Devon they scatter the chippings with wild abandon, but don't seem to start with the bitumen.

So within a few days, mounds of chippings have built up like snow drifts in the sides of the road and down the middle, but not where anyone's tyres actually go!
                  Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 August 2016, 16:15.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

Horrible to ride through & also from the point of view of getting pelted with bits of gravel ricocheting off passing vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Why can't they at least spray some liquid tar on the existing surface, to give some chance of holding the new gravel in place?

When they do country roads in Devon, they just seem to spray the gravel alone all over the place and hope for the best!

edit: Oh, I read the article mudskipper referenced. So in Devon they scatter the chippings with wild abandon, but don't seem to start with the bitumen.

So within a few days, mounds of chippings have built up like snow drifts in the sides of the road and down the middle, but not where anyone's tyres actually go!
                      Except the tyres of motorcycles.

You really don't want to hit a bank of that stuff when you're taking a corner.

Particularly on a full dresser like my old man's.

Comment

Working...
                      X