• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tree trimming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree trimming

WFH this week and the guy/company who apparently used to tidy up previous owner's three big leylandii trees pop by and gave me a quote of 450 notes to trim them and take a bit off the top.

Going to get a few more quotes but I've never had big trees before that needed this doing. Anyone else with knowledge of this? I wouldn't know if 450 is a decent or high quote. Almost half a days rate that.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    WFH this week and the guy/company who apparently used to tidy up previous owner's three big leylandii trees pop by and gave me a quote of 450 notes to trim them and take a bit off the top.

Going to get a few more quotes but I've never had big trees before that needed this doing. Anyone else with knowledge of this? I wouldn't know if 450 is a decent or high quote. Almost half a days rate that.

qh
    If that includes removal and disposal etc. that sound about right. Councils charge traders a small fortune, so don't be tempted to borrow a mate's van to take stuff to the tip. If they even think you're a trader, you'll be clobbered.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

How tall are your Leylandii? They are nasty and require annual trimming.

If it (potentially) affects your neighbours, it can be very expensive.

Leylandii Law | Leylandii
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Save money long term, get the fookers chopped down, replace with smaller, slow growing trees.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Save money long term, get the fookers chopped down, replace with smaller, slow growing trees.
          We have one strategically placed to block the view from the neighbouring upstairs bedroom window.

It was there when we moved in but I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. I do value my privacy.

There's one in a neighbouring garden that's just been left to its own devices & I have to admit it does add architecture to the general view. It also serves as a perch for whichever bird that thinks it's the top dog of the moment.
          Last edited by The Plantswoman; 17 August 2016, 11:51.

Comment

I'm on the end of the row so no worry of hassle from neighbours and the trees to do provide privacy from the flats across the road.

cheers

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Still, at least the tree guy looks like he's on £900 PD, I'm in the wrong game
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Still, at least the tree guy looks like he's on £900 PD, I'm in the wrong game
                Cash in hand too. Take home 100% and no HMR&C investigations, as he's a "real" business doing "real" things...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Cash in hand too. Take home 100% and no HMR&C investigations, as he's a "real" business doing "real" things...
                  Don't mind if I do Squire
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
                    Bloody horrible things are Leylandii
                    Are you certain that is what you have?
                    Some varieies of conifer respond well to pruning but not Leylandii.
                    They do not grow back well after excessive trimming so they require very regular attention, little and often, it is oh so easy to cut back too far and then you have an ugly Brown permanent scar not too much of a problem for a single plant but in a hedge - eyesore!

I had the best side of 120yds of the things when we moved here only 5' high but over 7' deep by the time I grubbed them all out. I now have Copper Beech instead.

[IMG][/IMG]
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Working...
                    X