• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Five-times-salary mortgage offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    The simple fact is that I pay the parents £300 a month to live here
    Inconcievable (sp?) thing to happen in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
      Sounds like you are living in a dirt cheap area. If you are on £60,000 a year you could easily get yourself a mortgage for a flat (and a couple of months saving will get you a deposit and then you could rent out the flat, pay off the motgage with the rental and have some beer money left over.

When (if) the crash comes it will affect the flats worth £250,000, your flat worth £85,000 won't be hit as much because everybody will be moving up to where you are so that they can afford property.

If you are on high wages and living at home your expenses will be sod all and you should be able to pay off a flat in 5 years if you rent it out and pour some money into it.

You have the perfect opportunity to get yourself some property and bring in an income which living at your parents and you aren't doing it.

If you just put your money in a bank and sit on it you will never make any money, the only people that will make money is the bank you are storing your money in. You have to invest to make money, the people that sit on it shouting doom and gloom ar the ones that never actually make money because they are far to scared of the risk of actually putting thier money where thier mouth is!!!
      Not dirt cheap...cheapish. I could quite easily get a mortgage (well I cant as I'm a new contractor). The plan is to stay at home and save a good £3k a month to have a sizeable deposit after a year or two.

As above I will get a mortgage but being a new contractor I cant. I could have a month ago and had an agreement for a nice terraced house worked out...but felt some SE was a better route and the bank ran a mile.

Trust me I dont like living at home enough to stay here long term. I moved back in after 4 years to build up some savings and a deposit and cant wait to get out again...

Comment

I can't help thinking it is a Darwinian kind of process.

If people are silly enough to borrow that much then they might end up in trouble. I worked with a woman once who bought a studio apartment in Leyton at the height of the last boom, and was stuck...for over ten years. At one point they had over £50k negative equity. It almost cost her her marriage.

Having said that living in a studio I probably would have ended up in prison by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
          Not dirt cheap...cheapish. I could quite easily get a mortgage (well I cant as I'm a new contractor). The plan is to stay at home and save a good £3k a month to have a sizeable deposit after a year or two.

As above I will get a mortgage but being a new contractor I cant. I could have a month ago and had an agreement for a nice terraced house worked out...but felt some SE was a better route and the bank ran a mile.

Trust me I dont like living at home enough to stay here long term. I moved back in after 4 years to build up some savings and a deposit and cant wait to get out again...
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...tml/houses.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 25 August 2006, 08:30 GMT 09:30 UK

Average Cost: £199,184
          Detached: £300,349
          Semi-detached: £180,170
          Terraced: £158,493
          Flat: £185,703

Now using the above information (which is a couple of months out of date) flats in your area are stupidly cheap. My cheap 2 bed flat was valued at ~£150,000 this year so if you can get one for £85,000 you are living in a dirt cheap area. Give us a county and we will have a better idea, but from what i'm seeing at the moment You could already fully own your own flat.

You say save £3k a month living at home so lets assume you could have saved £1500 a month while living away from home. Over 4 years you could have saved up £72,000 (and that is on top of paying your mortgage which i'm assuming will not have been more expensive than your rent). If you had bought a £60,000 flat at the same time as your sister you could now be sitting on £85,000 of equity with £20,000 in the bank and no mortgage/rental payments!!!

Now tell me again that it's a good idea to not buy and that staying at home and saving so that you can buy in a few years is a good idea......

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...tml/houses.stm

Now tell me again that it's a good idea to not buy and that staying at home and saving so that you can buy in a few years is a good idea......
            He's claiming he can't get a mortgage from the bank but he obviously hasn't talked to brokers.

Comment

Now using the above information (which is a couple of months out of date) flats in your area are stupidly cheap. My cheap 2 bed flat was valued at ~£150,000 this year so if you can get one for £85,000 you are living in a dirt cheap area. Give us a county and we will have a better idea, but from what i'm seeing at the moment You could already fully own your own flat.

You say save £3k a month living at home so lets assume you could have saved £1500 a month while living away from home. Over 4 years you could have saved up £72,000 (and that is on top of paying your mortgage which i'm assuming will not have been more expensive than your rent). If you had bought a £60,000 flat at the same time as your sister you could now be sitting on £85,000 of equity with £20,000 in the bank and no mortgage/rental payments!!!

County is Leicester. Sisters flat was a 1 bed flat.

3 of the 4 years I was at Uni and the other living on Oxford while on £20k/year grad scheme...fun. So count out any savings from that.

I've only really been on the big bucks for the last 6 months and I have a nice deposit coming....I shall move out when I can afford it but at the moment that is not now hence the need to save as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
              X