• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Five-times-salary mortgage offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You see if all the 20 year olds cannot fly the nest becuase there simply are not the spare houses out there for us to move into. If we did house prices would rise even more....you see the issue here.
    Last edited by Sockpuppet; 1 November 2006, 15:33.

Comment

I am enjoying this thread. Please continue.

*Sits back, munches popcorn*
      Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
        I'm actually in the lounge atm....and I'd rather be AtW than scottish.
        I'd rather you were AtW than Scottish too mate. It would depress me greatly to think that a Scot would still be tied to his mother's apron strings well into their 20s. That's much more of a middle-England thing it seems. Have you ever seen the programme "Sorry"??
        Ring any bells?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...20/sorry_1.jpg
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy
          I'd rather you were AtW than Scottish too mate. It would depress me greatly to think that a Scot would still be tied to his mother's apron strings well into their 20s. That's much more of a middle-England thing it seems. Have you ever seen the programme "Sorry"??
          Ring any bells?

Nope before my time

Comment

You see if all the 20 year olds cannot fly the nest becuase there simply are not the spare houses out there for us to move into. If we did house prices would rise even more....you see the issue here.
            Not "cannot", simply "won't". Nothing wrong with sharing a house/flat whilst you save a deposit apart from the fact that you might have to face up to a bit of reality what with cooking for yourself and doing your own dobie. That'd never do for today's mollycoddled youngsters who have grown up to expect instant gratification in all matters. Bunch of spineless Cuckoos if you ask me! Stop bleeding your poor parents white and stand up for yourself man, what are you, a man or a mouse??
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My sisters flat she bought for £60k and is now back on the market for £85k one year later. Nice to see wages havent risen the same in the last year.
              Sounds like you are living in a dirt cheap area. If you are on £60,000 a year you could easily get yourself a mortgage for a flat (and a couple of months saving will get you a deposit and then you could rent out the flat, pay off the motgage with the rental and have some beer money left over.

When (if) the crash comes it will affect the flats worth £250,000, your flat worth £85,000 won't be hit as much because everybody will be moving up to where you are so that they can afford property.

If you are on high wages and living at home your expenses will be sod all and you should be able to pay off a flat in 5 years if you rent it out and pour some money into it.

You have the perfect opportunity to get yourself some property and bring in an income which living at your parents and you aren't doing it.

If you just put your money in a bank and sit on it you will never make any money, the only people that will make money is the bank you are storing your money in. You have to invest to make money, the people that sit on it shouting doom and gloom ar the ones that never actually make money because they are far to scared of the risk of actually putting thier money where thier mouth is!!!

Comment

I could go for this mortgage as I DO have the deposit (well, the gf does :-)) And I believe you can be a first time buyer if you have not owned a property in the last 6 months.

I listened to the abbey guy justifying it on R4 this morning and he was using interest rates as the differentiator. He rationally explained that they offered 3.5 x income in the days when interest rates were at 15% but now they are low and he doesn't see them getting back to those highs in the short to medium term. If they do, I guess it will be more than the abbey 5x customers who will be fecked...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I'd rather you were AtW than Scottish too mate. It would depress me greatly to think that a Scot would still be tied to his mother's apron strings well into their 20s. That's much more of a middle-England thing it seems.
                  Scotland has a declining population so presumably there is much more property & accomodation about and easier to set up home.

Living with your parents, i'm afraid, until your late 20's is becomming the norm in England these days. Its all part of the governments campaign to make us more "european". Most Italians are still living with mama into their 30's. Going that way in SPain too.

Comment

Still pro the idea that we should have removed Saddam. However, now that that job is done and the Iraqis are unable to get their act together without resorting to futile and very bloody internecine sectarian slaughter, I feel the time has come for us to withdraw and let them put the finishing touches to the brand of democracy they as a sovereign state are most inclined towards.
                    :-O where was the insult? You must be getting soft in your old age!
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Not "cannot", simply "won't". Nothing wrong with sharing a house/flat whilst you save a deposit apart from the fact that you might have to face up to a bit of reality what with cooking for yourself and doing your own dobie. That'd never do for today's mollycoddled youngsters who have grown up to expect instant gratification in all matters. Bunch of spineless Cuckoos if you ask me! Stop bleeding your poor parents white and stand up for yourself man, what are you, a man or a mouse??
                      I've already done the living on my own thing for 4 years...whats the point? The simple fact is that I pay the parents £300 a month to live here I am at work in europe most of the week so I'd rather give them the cash than to some landlord as I only really sleep here a few nights a week..

Comment

Working...
                      X