• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who has the heating on?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I were a lad we used to have no central heating, the approach was loads of blankets (not poncy duvets- they came later)...so our bedrooms had ice on the insides of the windows on really cold days. I always think it's the best way of sleeping -i.e. warm bed in a cold room!.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Buffoon
      Got up this morning and it’s a bit nippy; especially when I open the door to the balcony to get some air. Think I shall have to fire up the old central heating tonight. Actually, I’d better get it checked first. I don’t know if it works properly, I’ve never used it as I only moved here in the spring.

It is November I after all. I suppose that I am just in denial that summer is over.
      November can often be chilly and like you it's easy to forget that it's nearly winter. I went out at lunchtime today without a coat on under the illusion that 'sun equalled warm' as it has even in the last month. However, I was freezing as soon as I stepped through the swing doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
        When I were a lad we used to have no central heating, the approach was loads of blankets (not poncy duvets- they came later)...so our bedrooms had ice on the insides of the windows on really cold days. I always think it's the best way of sleeping -i.e. warm bed in a cold room!.
        I can't do without a heated blanket in the winter. Nothing worse than climbing into a freezing sheets. My feet never warm up if I do, even if I wrap the duvet around me 'Egyptian mummy' style.

I grew up without central heating and hot water bottles too. I fondly remember getting into an icy bed in my nylon or wynciette (big in the 70s) nightie and burning my feet on a lump of scorching rubber which had heated the sheets on the bottom of my single bed to 'walking on hot coals' temperature.

Those were the days....
        Last edited by Denny; 1 November 2006, 23:03.

Comment

Scottish blankets are really good - not the cheap ones for 10-20 quid, but good ones for 60-70 quid - really warm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hattra
            Hah, one blast of an Alberta Clipper would remove any desire to go to Canada (except in the Summer). When we lived near Chicago, the winds coming down from Canada took the temp. down as low as -40 F in still air, and -86 F with wind chill. So cold you can't breath through your mouth, so a heavy cold can cause you real problems!

The mosquitos will remove any desire to stay in Canada in the summer!
            Yeah but its a dry cold! Not this damp wet misery stuff you get here. And at least stuff still works at -40 in Canada. When it gets to 0 here, things just literally stop. For a country which has had to deal with proper winter for decades..one wonders what's happened to the infrastructure...and all the cash that was allegedly used to pay for it!

On the mosquito side- mostly killed off in cities due to deseases they carry. Last time I visited my folks there weren't any!

I keep trying to convince a move to Dubai...I just need a good Oracle contract out there.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

grrrrrrrrr
              got home last night, to find every, yep EVERY light on in the house, including the cupboard under the stairs the loft, the shed, the garages and side lamps every single light on.

not just that

the heating on, set to blast furnace temperature

and theres more

It was so hot that patio doors from the kitchen and the lounge were open, apparently it was hot
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                grrrrrrrrr
                got home last night, to find every, yep EVERY light on in the house, including the cupboard under the stairs the loft, the shed, the garages and side lamps every single light on.

not just that

and theres more

It was so hot that patio doors from the kitchen and the lounge were open, apparently it was hot
                LOL

I find the best way to deal with the light under the stairs is have a switch on the door so that when the door is opened the light comes on and when the door is shut the light goes off. Then you just have to convince the troops that they must always shut the door!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                  grrrrrrrrr

not just that

and theres more

You should've turned them off before you left home in the morning then. Get an appointment with your GP. This could be the start of Parkinson's Disease.
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco
                    Then you just have to convince the troops that they must always shut the door!!!

more tea over the keyboard
                    I'm off to build a Sky Hook should be easier than the above.
                    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster
                      This could be the start of Parkinson's Disease.
                      is that the thing where you have to touch peoples knees when you talk to them

Comment

Working...
                      X