• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheering on the Scot in the tennis and the Welsh in the football

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Engerlund they put up Portugal flags in the office yesterday. They're argument - if it was england everyone in wales would be supporting portugal. This is of course true.

But as I explain to my english friends, its not the english that the scots or welsh or irish hate its the english media. We all want england to lose because we get sick of the england-centred media attention.

We also find it a bit funny, especially this time around, that English sports teams don't seem to have that extra bit of buzz. Maybe its a celtic atttibute but we don't mind losing 20-0 as long as pride is shown. Didn't see much from England.

It happened again this time. More column inches dedicated to where england went wrong as opposed to Wales and N Irelands continued progress in the tournament.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Football, another good way of segregating / controlling the Proles
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

We also find it a bit funny, especially this time around, that English sports teams don't seem to have that extra bit of buzz. Maybe its a celtic atttibute but we don't mind losing 20-0 as long as pride is shown. Didn't see much from England.

England whitewash Australia: Jeremy Guscott's view on 3-0 Test series win - BBC Sport
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working in Engerlund they put up Portugal flags in the office yesterday. They're argument - if it was england everyone in wales would be supporting portugal. This is of course true.

But as I explain to my english friends, its not the english that the scots or welsh or irish hate its the english media. We all want england to lose because we get sick of the england-centred media attention.

It happened again this time. More column inches dedicated to where england went wrong as opposed to Wales and N Irelands continued progress in the tournament.
          Speak for yourself. You can take the boy out of the valleys...

Comment

Very good point, but wrong sport. The discussion was about the round ball, not the eggy shaped one.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Speak for yourself. You can take the boy out of the valleys...
              He sounds like a closet racist to me
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The media seems to be the problem. I've grown fed up of the excessive coverage of the Wales team over the past week or two. It's tiresome, repetitive and bordering on patronising ("Oh, look how well you've done, for a bunch of mostly no-marks").

And I'm a Taff.

Comment

Surprised at how little coverage this has been given. Just shows how much bigger a game football is when it comes to $$$

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Very good point, but wrong sport. The discussion was about the round ball, not the eggy shaped one.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
                      The media seems to be the problem. I've grown fed up of the excessive coverage of the Wales team over the past week or two. It's tiresome, repetitive and bordering on patronising ("Oh, look how well you've done, for a bunch of mostly no-marks").

And I'm a Taff.
                      When was the last time a Welsh team got to a semi final of any tournament? I think you're being a tad harsh, Wales are the smallest team (in population terms) ever to reach the semi final stage of a major football tournament. If you can't bring yourself to be proud of that achievement, you're a sad lad indeed. And I say that as an Englishman. And as for no-marks, I'd quite happily swap most of our no-marks for a couple of yours.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X